If iMacs go retina, do you think it will open up pseudo retina to older iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fisha, Oct 16, 2014.

1. fisha macrumors regular

If there is a retina iMac later today (along with Yosemite), then similar to the MacBook Pro, I expect you'll have a native retina resolution, but likely be able to select other resolutions as well which will render in pseudo-retina modes ( like when the MBP is set to 1920 resolution)

If thats the case, then does anyone else think it possible that the pseudo retina modes might be enabled on the older Macs as well.

Its doing my head in that the 1920 resolution on the 27" iMac is grainy considering that the MBP can render it so much better.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As a point of reference, can old MBPs do that now, since we have rMBPs?

I'd say that ability won't be added for older existing iMacs.

3. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

You can enable 1280x720 HiDPI right now on a 27" iMac. Everything is gigantic on screen but it's as close to Retina as you can get if you want really crisp text and UI elements. 1280x720 at 2x fits perfectly into the 2560x1440 display.

Here's how if interested:

http://cocoamanifest.net/articles/2013/01/turn-on-hidpi-retina-mode-on-an-ordinary-mac.html

I understand you want to try 1920x1080 HiDPI downscaled to fit the existing iMac resolution but I think the results of that would have you going with the native res anyway.

4. cycledance Suspended

just tried it. really cool trick! thank u for sharing.

5. fisha thread starter macrumors regular

Patriot, I have the 720 retina mode enabled, but its just too large to be useable. You give up too much working space.

The 1920 resolution when selected gives a good working size, and it would be nice to have that as a pseudo retina mode.

Photoshopping that resolution makes things look great. Would be a nice to have, but wishful thinking I suppose.

6. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

And there isn't a 3rd party solution to enable 1080p HiDPI on the 27-inch iMac?

7. fisha thread starter macrumors regular

Reading up, switchresx used to be able to do it, but recently it seems to have stopped working with the latest OS.