If in and out of 3G coverage, should iphone default to Edge when not in 3G area?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by brasskey, Jul 21, 2008.

1. brasskey macrumors regular

I travel back and forth between cities (Austin - West Texas) in which one has 3G coverage (Austin) and the other one doesn't. I would like to have 3G enabled all the time so that I don't have to keep changing it when I go to Austin. But, what I have noticed is that whenever I am out of 3G coverage, the phone goes to "no service" and I can't receive or make any calls at all. But, if I turn 3G off, then the Edge network kicks in. I would think that if you have 3G enabled and are not in a 3G network that Edge should kick in. Is this not true?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

for me it automatically switches between the two. what you're describing is pretty bizarre..

3. brasskey thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that didn't sound right, but I just got off the phone with Apple and the lady I spoke to insisted that my phone was acting normal. I don't have an Apple store close, so I guess I'm out of luck or I can try to call again. Thanks.

4. sjobs@mac.com macrumors member

Faulty Phone

I had the same problem. I returned the set got a replacement and no longer have the issue.