If iP4 came in optional 3GS body with no reception issue would you want it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s8film40, Jun 28, 2010.

?

Witch body type would you choose 3GS or iP4

1. 3GS (no reception issues)

24 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. iP4 (with current reception issues)

83 vote(s)
    77.6%
  1. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

So I'm curious hypothetically how many people would be willing to give up the design elements of the new iPhone 4 if it meant there would be no signal issues. Assuming you could walk in the Apple store and they had two options available with all the same features except for the body. The salesperson asks do you want the 3GS style body with no reception issues or the new glass with stainless steal band, but if you hold it just this way it loses signal. What would you choose.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'd choose the new one, because it doesn't affect me, nor anyone I know. :)

3. jontucker macrumors 6502

Well I can recreate the signal dropping scenario but I don't hold it that way so I would chose the iP4 form factor any day of the week!

4. paulcdb macrumors regular

i always preferred the 3GS design, the 4 just reminds me too much of Sony Ericsson, etc.

its the main reason i've not bothered replacing it too.

5. ducktales macrumors regular

if i wanted a 3GS case, I would just get a 3GS.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd have to choose the functional device, so the 3GS design.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i haven't noticed a problem and apparently I've been told conditions weren't "right" for me to duplicate it. whatever! either way I'm very happy with my phone.

8. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

While there are iP4 reception issues, it isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

If they were functionally identical, I'd prefer the 3G case.

Of course, I'd like to see the resulting empty space inside put to good use - so more memory or a bigger battery would be nice.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My data transfer speeds increased significantly from my 3G ... maybe the "bars" aren't always accurate, because I have had no more or no less dropped calls and my experience has been fine. With the bumper this thing is pretty scratch proof.

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I would take a ip4 in a 3gs body in a heartbeat, and not because of the reception issue. They took a huge step backwards in design with the chunky clunky ip4 body IMO. I'm currently vacillating between buying an ip4 or keeping my 3gs, and in all honesty it comes down to the aesthetics which are keeping me from buying one.

I wonder if there is any way to retrofit ip4 inners with a 3gs shell?

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The bumper fixes it for me, so I'd go with the new phone. All the other hardware improvements are just so amazing that I'd rather have them with a case than a 3GS without a case.

I mean, I'm assuming you'd take the same processor and RAM upgrade over, but if it's the 3GS body most external features will still be the old versions. You'd lose:

* Better Display
    * Camera flash
    * Thinner
    * Better battery
    * Front camera/Facetime
    * Noise-cancelling mic

I mean...how long does the list have to be? Geez. I'd do it for any 3 items on that list. I'm not gonna give up all that just so I don't have to use a bumper!

13. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Haven't held the new iPhone 4 yet, I need to wait till august to be eligible for an upgrade, but I don't like the idea of the flat back/sharp edges.
    However I won't say I would keep the 3gs body, even though I love it, untill I check out the iPhone 4 in real life.

14. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Before actually using my iPhone 4 I would have said I prefer the new design - huge leap forward and all that.

Now with the benefit of hands-on experience (pun intended :rolleyes:) if they would put the iPhone 4 hardware (front camera, better display etc) in a phone that could reliably make phone calls I would have to take that option. Can't really remember ever having dropped calls with my 3G :(

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agree totally on the backwards aesthetics. I'd argue backward ergonomics too: The obsession with thinness that got us here is, I'd say, no longer relevant.

16. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I'd prefer the iPhone 3GS case over the 4 case, but I'd only buy one if it came with a 64gb HD.

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

18. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I would want it in the 3GS case just because I think it feels way better. The slimness of the new iPhone doesn't do anything for me. I'm hoping on otterbox defender will beef this thing ip a little and make it easier to hold. I find myself covering up the speaker when I hold this phone now, something that wasn't an issue with the 3GS, but I never used my 3GS without a case, so I'm hoping once one is on the phone it won't happen.

19. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I was wondering the same thing, lol. A little modification for the led flash and noise canceling mic would be needed, but I wonder if it could be done. Really, I don't care about the mic so much.

20. s8film40 thread starter macrumors 6502

s8film40

So it looks like for the overwhelming majority this really is a "non issue". Not to say it doesn't exist but with only about 1 out of 4 saying they would pick a 3GS body it certainly isn't even close to being a deal breaker for most. Interesting.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No, I wouldn't trade this phone for anything out there, the design, build quality and feel are amazing.

3GS is like a toy to me now.