iPad mini If ipad mini 2 is not retina, I won't be bothering with Apple any longer...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lolwatpear, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lolwatpear macrumors member

I've honestly been hyped for the mini 2, but to hear these rumors that they will yet again release a substandard 720p display in the year 2014 is truly disappointing. I don't care about a processor upgrade that has diminishing returns or a fingerprint scanner I can live without. They better not make this mistake.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

WSJ (a.k.a. Apple's Mouthpiece) confirmed that the Mini 2 will carry a retina display months ago not-so-coincidentally around the launch of the Nexus 7. Despite the track record, people continue to ignore this as if it was a mere rumor.

It may not be $329, but there will be a retina Mini.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I'd be all in for a Space Gray, iPad Mini 2, 32gb, $349...Apple make it happen!

4. Lamarak macrumors 6502

And apple will do just fine without you, and you'll come back when they do release the retina next year when they have the design they like and supply to make a good release. They release when its good for them , not when some of the population has a self- entitlement to a piece of technology and think their lives are ended because its not there.

5. Corey Gibson macrumors newbie

Put a nicer way,

Apple will continue to trickle release upgrades to devices as long as they can because the masses have shown they will continue to purchase each new version in record numbers, even for gradual improvements. Look at the new iPhone for instance. Gradual changes that should have no where set record numbers for sales. However, a majority of people were buying just for the color of the housing, gold.

Unfortunately until that scenario changes, be prepared for them to cash in on the releases and the average consumers willingness to purchase every new version for as long as it holds out.

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Hate to burst your Gradual comment, but here are a few of the iphone 5s changes that are not gradual...

1. FingerPrint Sensor

2. Much better camera with dual flash and a larger sensor. 15 percent larger sensor. Wider ƒ/2.2 aperture. True Tone flash. Burst mode and slo-mo video.

3. All-new A7, and M7 chips. The new 64-bit A7 chip delivers up to 2x faster CPU and graphics performance. And the new M7 motion coprocessor handles specific tasks to make iPhone 5s even more power efficient.

4. Ultrafast LTE wireless. iPhone 5s supports more LTE bands.

5. Gradual comes with the newest color, and that is all that is gradual

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The thread title is a bit overly dramatic, don't you think? Having a retina display is the only requirement that I expected for the Mini 2 in order to make the purchase and upgrade; I hope it has TouchID and what ever goodies people are expecting, but the retina display is what I really need.

If the Mini 2 doesn't have a retina display, for what ever reason, then I'll continue to use my first-generation iPad Mini until they release an iPad Mini with the display. What's the point in getting upset about it?

8. Altis macrumors 68020

You kind of proved Corey Gibson's point. Points 3-5 are exactly what you'd expect for an annual update. It's an internal spec bump with a fingerprint sensor, which is the only non-"gradual" update. The camera bump is very good, IMO, although it's pretty common for each year or two (the 5 didn't really get an improved camera).

I think Corey Gibson is right... Apple plans many of their features, price points, releases, etc... far in advance. They are more concerned about profit than anything else, remember?

Back on topic... I agree with OP that the Mini should have a retina/high resolution display. I could see them dropping the 1st gen to $279 and making the retina $349, or something along those lines.

Fact is, there are cheaper tablets that are well rated and have both higher resolution screens and more storage. I hope there is a well executed retina Mini to be released soon.

9. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Yeah have stopped using mini almost completely except for gaming and facetime. Prefer my 7 in chinese tab ( wtih sharper resolution) for web browsing and reading comics/pdfs also movie watching.

10. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

But, without wishing to sound rude here, what else do people expect? What would be considered a non-incremental upgrade? The smartphone market, much like the computer market, is more-or-less mature right now. Apple roll out good upgrades on an annual basis which usually bring their devices either to the same level or, in some cases, beyond what the top of the market is at that moment in time. As good as they are at building these devices they're not magicians and can't just wish new tech out of thin air (though the A7 came damn close to qualifying!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again - those people claiming Apple should have given the Mini a Retina screen last year haven't thought it through. Yes, it would have been great if they could but just look at the iPad 4. BIG chunky power-hungry SoC that generates a lot of heat, big chunky power-hungry display and dual-LED back light, massive battery pack... how do you shrink all of that down into the Mini's chassis? It just wasn't possible a year ago, the tech wasn't there to deliver a retina Mini with the performance levels and battery life Apple wanted. Now it may be a different story, especially if the standard A7 is indeed capable of driving a Retina iPad, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in case volume to accommodate a larger battery pack. Fundamentally Apple can only build products that the available technology and manufacturing facilities allow them to build.

11. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I'm sure they'll do ok without you..:cool::rolleyes:

12. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Ahahah.

My favorite part was when he said "Much better camera". And the mentioning of more LTE bands as being anything but a gradual update.

Btw, if the A7 chip is so much more efficient, then why does the iPhone 5s get worse battery life in everyday use? It even has a bigger battery and it still dies on average 10% sooner than the iPhone 5. According to 5-6 major reviewers

13. Altis macrumors 68020

I agree that 1st gen mini wasn't going to be retina. 2nd gen should be to stay competitive, justify its price, and fit in the apple system. They'll probably want to move away from the 1024x768 resolution soon anyways.

I don't disagree with your points about the incremental updates being about all that's to be expected. Seems the tech isn't moving as fast as it used to, so there isn't as much to get excited about.

There are still things Apple could do to spruce things up a bit.

14. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Not in my experience. I would say lasting 10% longer seems to be the trend.

15. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Sometimes the way Apple trickles out upgrades is absolutely ridiculous but if you think about the way minion consumers just pony up for the next iteration every year, Apple would be stupid to operate any other way.

If Apple releases a product you like, great but if they don't just get whatever you want and go back to them when you want to. There's no loyalty necessary over a device, Apple [insert any company name here] doesn't know or particularly care about any one individual.

16. Mr.C macrumors 601

Well put. The OP is acting like a cry baby and Apple will certainly do just fine without him.

17. lolwatpear thread starter macrumors member

I am pissed off about the possibility of a non-retina mini 2, because I've sold multiple lower resolution tablets over the year in anticipation for a high res mini. It would be more like a sidegrade on top of taking a loss.

I realize you may think it it's stupid to do a thing like that, but I honestly thought, even without knowing much about the ipads, that the next logically step would be to introduce a retina ipad mini. It would be obvious progression.

There is absolutely no other feature that draws a person to a device as much as high resolution. I want to return to iOS to regain a smoother experience, with better app optimization, but it has to be high res. Otherwise, I would have kept my $200 note 8 that comes with a S pen.

18. Spinnetti macrumors regular

Amazing how wired people get about stupid stuff. Sure, I'll prolly get a mini if it gets a screen upgrade, but nothing wrong with the current one. My iPad1 is fine too... its not like it stopped working or something, just that my mom has it, and my wife took over my ipad3... I'll be happy if the rabid masses move on to the next fad, leaving Apple for "the rest of us" :)

19. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

Saying the current ipad mini is fine is a personal thing. For me its resolution is definitely not fine. When you compare it to N7 gen 1, u can see that text is so much better on nexus. And once you have become accustomed to a high res display, its becomes glaringly obvious that apple compromised on the display in mini1. Hope they dont do the same with mini2

20. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

If it's in use it's worse. But if you don't use your phone all day, it may last 10% longer because the size of the battery is slightly larger. I use my phone throughout the day texting and such, so it is in standby very little. I find battery life to be slightly worse - and it falls in line directly with what many reviewers have said too. Everyone's uses are different of course, but I was trying to speak generally.

21. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

I do use it though. Alot, the same amount I used my 4s. Maybe you need to adjust some of the app update in background settings? I also don't use Bluetooth.

22. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yup- i've had an lte phone for about a year and a half now.
    that being said, the OP is being a baby.

don't want it? don't buy it - they don't owe you anything.

23. ritmomundo, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

WSJ (aka Apple's supposed mouthpiece) was wrong about the iPhone Nano a couple years ago, even though they confirmed it then. It was because of that "confirmation" that people on these forums were absolutely certain there would be an iPhone Nano alongside the 4S.

"The new device would be about half the size of the iPhone 4, which is the current model. The new phone—one of its code names is N97—would be available to carriers at about half the price of the main iPhones. "
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704657104576142262842435544

24. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Fair enough, but the story around the iPad Mini with retina display was clearly a plant. The timing of the article coinciding with the release of the Nexus 7 was not random.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. And there is a lot of smoke right now around a retina Mini.

Happy to eat my hat next week if there isn't one, but it seems that Apple can ill afford to go another year with a sub-par display in one of their most popular products.

25. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I went to pick up some ink at office Depot today, and I got a chance to play around with the new Nexus 7. That screen - gorgeous. If the iPad mini fails to have a Retina screen, I will be disappointed. The thought actually crossed my mind to pick one up. I especially liked it's longer form factor- if felt great to use in landscape. I ultimately decided not to buy the N7, hoping Apple would bring a Retina screen to the mini. If they don't, I probably still won't get the N7 because of the lack of tablet specific apps, but I'll surely miss that display!