If iPod touch gets Retina Display, Do you think iPad will get at least a Res Bump?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by d Fusion b, Aug 11, 2010.

1. d Fusion b macrumors member

d Fusion b

I do; I understand the concept of people holding the iPad further, so a Retina grade display is not necessary, but with low energy advances, and high res displays getting cheaper by the month, I would bet that if not the next update, the update after will feature a higher res display.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wait, you mean technology will get better as time goes on? What a revolutionary idea.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm so conflicted. On the one hand, my iPhone 4 has devalued my iPad but if the iPad gets a res bump then my iPhone 4 will be a big pile of crap. I'll never achieve inner peace.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Hehe. This makes me laugh. :)

I am tired of answering back to the fact that the 1st gen iPad has *barely* made it to other countries. A "bump" of any sort ain't gonna happen until next April.

5. xraytech macrumors 68020

Really?!?

I have both and I value the iPad above the iPhone 4

Try reading "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" on an iPhone 4.

Try running an app like "SketchBook Pro" on a iPhone 4.

Is the browsing experience better on an iPhone 4? Sure some sites will point you to its mobile version, but that's the "Mobile" version.

iPad devalued? I say the iPhone 4 has made the iPad more valuable.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You just fell into the sarchasm. He was being sarcastic.

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

What?!?

SON OF A BITCH!!!

8. tac22 macrumors 6502

The next iPad ( IMO ) will not have a retna display. I think apple is working on getting one in it, but I think it will be to expensive for generation 2. May gen 3 probably by 4.

Oh and it won't get a small bump, apple will only double the resolution like the did on the iPhone, making it easy to scale apps.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

No the retina is only done because by quadrupling the number of pixels they can keep the apps compatible. Until they can run 4x the number of pixels in the iPad they won't do anything. That said if you look at the amount of space in the iPad there is room for a big enough gpu to push the pixels easily but battery would suffer and I don't think they will compromise that because the battery life is the biggest thing the iPad has going for it

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

There is a lot of empty space in the iPad. Weight is their biggest enemy for doing something like this.

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Your such a donkey!!

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No manufacturer in the world is making a screen 9.7" in size with a resolution of 2048 x 1536.

Eventually the iPad will get a 'retina display' but not in Rev 2 next April. Maybe in 2012

13. big samm macrumors 65816

I don't think the screen will get a bump... not before at least the third gen...
    I think the next gen will have a micro sd slot maybe a front camera for face time call... more lighter... even longer battery who knows.... but one thing I don't wanna see is back camera!!! imagine people taking pictures with a big ass iPad :eek: I wouldn't buy it and i would of stick with the first gen

14. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I would love to see SD slot, an A-9 processor, face time, a memory bump and the ability to print and document that I have on my iPad.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Printing will hopefully make it into iPad 4.1 software. Steve (if it was the real Steve) already indicated they were working on bringing wireless printing to the device.

16. d Fusion b thread starter macrumors member

d Fusion b

Sir, ub trollin'

The argument I see isn't that tech will improve over time. It's if it needs to in this case. People hold iPads much farther away from their face than iPhones, so some say a res increase is useless.

I say it's more beneficial, with HD content, and crisper text, any small cons like weight would be over looked by most people I'd bet.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, count me out of "most people." It's already a bit heavier than I would like, I'd rather have it at current weight or lighter than have more screen resolution. Giving up some battery life, I might go for, but I'd still want at least 8 hours on a full charge.

18. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I've got an iPad and iPhone 4 and I hardly use my iPhone at home anymore. Sure, the retina display is much crisper but general media consumption is leagues ahead of the iPhone on the iPad due to the larger screen and the way iPad apps are written and web-pages displayed in their non-mobile form.

My prediction for the next iPad is that it will support facetime (so front and rear camera) and have more memory/CPU (but who cares as it's not exactly slow in it's current form!).

Regarding retina display, if the rumours are true that Apple are going to release two sizes, then its possible the smaller one will feature retina display and the larger one either won't or will have a 'happy medium' between current resolution and full-blown retina. This is due to the battery life and manufacturing implications of implementing a retina display on a large screen. I'm sure they can market the two devices accordingly to justify any differences in resolutions.