If it’s on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, it’s on Apple TV.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liavman, Sep 4, 2010.

1. liavman macrumors 6502

Apple web site says "If it’s on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, it’s on Apple TV."

I love the interface and ease of use of Apple's design for streaming from these devices to the TV. This may be the main reason for me to get Apple TV.

But I wonder about one thing.

How seriously do we take this?
    How literally do we take this?

If I am watching a vimeo video on my iPad, can I tap, tap and get it on my TV?

If I have a HD video on my iPhone that I shot myself, can I tap, tap and get it on my TV? ( I hope so )

I guess I am really asking for the definition of "on" in "if it is on....."

2. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

No I would presume it means media that is stored on the device such as Photos and Videos. Possibly iBooks?

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Also it's not instantaneous u still have to tap ur remote and change the source to whatever the TV is on. Unless u can set it that it switches when u play a video.

4. vtprof macrumors newbie

Does that mean Safari, Pages, Keynote? Email, Calendar, etc?
    If so, why did i just get a Mac Mini? Dagnabit!:confused:

5. liavman thread starter macrumors 6502

May be that is what they mean by "On". OK, that is reasonable, though disappointing a bit.

iBooks would be interesting including PDF Documents. How about Pages and spreadsheets? That would make a good presentation tool.

I wonder if it is restricted to Apple's apps only? What if I have my own app ( say a audio and video recording app ) with stored contents. Would I be able to stream it to my TV?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think that it will only stream contents from with in the iPod App on the iPhone, Music and Video App on the iPod touch and iPad, as well as Photos and Videos in the Photos App.

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Since the max resolution output for the :apple:TV is 720p, that would mean that component A/V cables would suffice, correct?

(Off topic, I know)

8. amorya macrumors 6502

I rather presumed they had modified the default MPMediaPlayerController to support it. So whenever video is played back in an app that uses Apple's video player API (most of them do, including Safari), it'd be available.

That's just a hunch, I've got no inside info, but it seems likely.

9. technomuffin macrumors newbie

technomuffin

Answer on Recording Your Self and then Displaying

If you were to record yourself on the iPhone 4 or iPod Touch would be able to watch it on your Apple TV without doing anything. As technically, the video would be just assumed in photos, and obviously the Apple TV can read those files. :apple: