If its meant to be its meant to be

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by phas3, Jun 11, 2012.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

I never can see how others think this way. Something happens because it was meant to be or it wasn't meant to be. I want someone to explain to me this way of seeing things.

For example, I want to buy a car in a year and in order to do that this is what I need to do:

- fix my credit
    - save money for a downpayment
    - go do my research
    - go to the dealership and get the car

Say a year goes by and I have not done anything on that list and I can't get a car, is it because "it wasn't meant to be" or is it because I failed to take personal responsibility?

Some others just see it as it wasn't mean to be...how?

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

It wasn't meant to be because you're a lazy ****.

It's another way of saying that everyday discourse of the Universe has led you to this point in time. Don't think too much about it.

3. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

I see people saying this because of something that is out of their control. Like

"Hey we missed to movie because the road was closed, guess it wasn't meant to be"

I have never heard someone using that term because of their own incompetence.

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

How about those that use it wasn't meant to be for relationships?

Two people are together because they both want to be with each other. And if they break up its becaue one didn't want to be with the other person again...but then they use "we weren't meant to be together" how does that come into play?

5. Queso macrumors G4

In the case of relationships, they weren't meant to be together, because one of them deep down didn't want that.

As for the rest of it, it's a nice coping mechanism to help deal with disappointment. **** happens being another. TBH I quite like that people use it. It saves them dwelling on stuff that has already occurred and that they can do nothing about.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Existing conditions determine the probability of the result.

It doesn't take away your free will to choose to face those obstacles and get that car.

It's just most likely that you won't.

That's as close to "it was meant to be" as I'll go.

8. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The probability of an event occurring in time is 1.00. The probability of a particular desired event is far far less.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What's that? Your son got ran over by a lawnmower? I guess it wasn't meant to be

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

In various psychology experiments, most people overestimate the degree of control that they have on quasi-random processes. Depressed people do not. Go figure....

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Desired or undesired.

For most of my life I've seen my "destiny" as a probability ... such as ... if I'd lived 100 lifetimes this result would have occurred X% of the time.

If you consider only the conditions of that moment X can be a big number: I'm in a bar, what are the chance that I'll order a beer?

The longer the time for conditions to vary, the smaller [infinitesimally] X gets: if I lived my life over again, what are the chances I'd be married to my wife, living in this house, typing this post?

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Your life is what you make of it.

For example, It wouldn't take much to start a civil war with all the current issues in Western Society.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Within the conditions that exist.

I live in town Y. When lunch rolls around the choices I have are limited to the restaurants I can get to, eat and return from within an hour.

While I could theoretically choose to travel to Paris for lunch that would depend on my bank account or available credit, flight schedules and my desire to keep my job and marriage intact.

Existing conditions limit our choices. From those limited choices, life is what we make it.

14. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

But the subtree in the probability tree ceases to exist when we can no longer make that choice, making it inconsequential anyway.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't adequately understand this point.

Could you elaborate?

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do I have the money to fly to Paris?

Yes, go.

No, eat in town.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is a pet peeve of mine as well...Not always but sometimes people say "it isn't meant to be" if they think it can't be done or they themselves don't want to do it. Some people look at it in a religious sense as in "God didn't intend it", which I really have a problem believing. If the "God" is so good like many people say, then why would a 'good god' limit your own achievement abilities? If you live in a country where there is at least moderate levels of freedom, then how was it "meant to be"? If we have free will, even if not in a complete and total sense, I find it hard to believe in 'pre-determinism'. It's also sometimes used as a blanket statement to avoid saying "I don't think there is anyway in hell that you could accomplish that". I was told by numerous people that me going to college "wasn't meant to be" because I was "retarded". But apparently, even though it "wasn't meant to be", it sure happened. On a side note, those people now call me "Doctor". So if someone tells me something "wasn't meant to be" in terms of personal achievement, I am a little sensitive to that...

People don't always reason that well.

Yes, go

No, finance it for the next 20 years and go

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed. :)