If iTunes were to go completely DRM-free, would previous purchases be updated?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jack Flash, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I realize you could previously buy an "upgrade" to Itunes Plus songs, but they're now $0.99 as well. What if Apple shifts to a non-DRM model.

Would we get a free DRM strip?

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Based on the EMI experience when their music (mostly) went DRM free, we would pay $0.30/song (or a couple bucks IIRC correctly per album)...

Not saying that would be true going forward, just what happened in the past...

3. cowm007 macrumors regular

You could always email them and say you lost your entire collection. I did that when they changed from small movie files to larger ones and they let me re-download everything.

Only works one time though.

4. stekerrod macrumors regular

i'd like to think Apple would let us get the drm free ones.....although the sceptical side of me suggests that they wont though!

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Well, technically they are different files, so they don't *have* to update them for you. Just like you wouldn't get an update for your Mac just because they come with more RAM and a faster CPU now.

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Maybe it would be like the iPod Touch patch and they would charge say $20 forthe DRM update...:eek:

7. saxman macrumors 6502

I would think they wouldn't let you get the DRM-free version for free. When we paid $0.99 for a track, we knew it had DRM. It will still continue to work as advertised. It would be nice if they offered the non-DRM for free, but I would expect some price or no option at all

8. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike