If IUP phones are unlocked why do you have to pick a carrier to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cybertek, Sep 14, 2016.

1. cybertek macrumors regular

cybertek

If the iPhone Upgrade Program phones are "unlocked" why does it ask you for your carrier during the pre-order process? Different colors and storage options are available depending on the carrier selected.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's to prevent scalpers and people shipping them overseas. Also probably a carrier agreement.

3. elistan macrumors 6502a

There are different radios in the phones depending on the carrier choice. Also Apple arranges with the carrier to have the phone already provisioned for your service choice so you simply need to activate it, rather than telling it what to activate. Also, I've read that starting Friday unlocked phones not tied to a specific carrier will be available, and it's up to the consumer to arrange activation. I assume this is to help prevent scalping.

4. cybertek thread starter macrumors regular

cybertek

5. Kahsheh macrumors regular

Can you please let me know where you read this? Is it sim free?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

SIM free phones typically don't come out for a minimum of two weeks after launch day. Last year 2 weeks, iPhone 6 was 3 months. It depends on availability of the device.

7. elistan, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

elistan macrumors 6502a

I read it here. I make no claims about its accuracy. It appears to not be sim-free.

Edit - after looking at ordering options more closely, if you pay in full or use Apple's IUP for an iPhone 7 it comes unlocked regardless of carrier. It's only on the carrier's installment plan (eg, ATT Next) that it's locked to carrier. No idea when SIM-free iPhone 7 will be available.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil