If Jobs says "Available Today," will they already be at stores?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DVNIEL, Aug 30, 2007.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I was wondering, when the last time the iPod 5G was updated, was the iPod immediately available at stores? I'm hoping on the 5th, I can go straight to an Apple Store and pick one up. Is it most likely that they will be at the stores ready to be sold?

I figure they would since the recently released iMacs were announced to be "available today," that some stores sold them that same afternoon. Opinions would be great, hope to hear from you all.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you can usually buy it in store that same day when steve says something is available "today."

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

And Pass Up Free Engraving?

And pass up free engraving?

Reward for Return. 555.555.4321
    Myself@urlsareus.com

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

engraving = no returns. it isn't for everyone.

5. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Does it even make sense to get the new iPod if I already have the iPhone?

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it does if you're looking for a standalone music player with storage capacities greater than 8 gb.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not always, and certainly not at all Apple stores, from what I've been hearing. Even when new products are available on the first day, stock on hand can be inadequate.

8. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

So there's very little chance of the new Glasgow Apple Store having them?
    Just that I'm heading to Edinburgh on Thursday (6th) and need to change trains in Glasgow and I would buy one in person rather than over the net.

9. tingly macrumors 6502

imacs took 2 days to show up in some Apple Stores

10. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Doubt they would be in any UK stores on the 5th, most likely only the big US stores

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They won't be in UK stores on the 5th since they're not announced til 6pm our time. There are deliveries booked in from Thursday morning onwards - we're expecting an iPod delivery from Apple to our main warehouse on Thursday am with couriers redistributing to stores on Thursday pm/Friday am depending on location.

12. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

It took a couple of days for the new iMacs to get in-store here in Canada as I remember. : /

13. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

The store on Regent Street will get them first, I presume? If couriers were to bring them there on Thursday, will they be available then or on Friday? I work not far from there and I'm ready to buy immediately, so :D

14. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

That is how I got my MacBook, but those weren't released at an event. Also how I got my 5G iPod, I believe. Well, or attempted to until my credit card was declined and I had to go back the next day with a check! Laaaaame.

Interesting story though, I had a white one the first day and a black one the second day. And now I want a white one rather than my black one.

Stupid bank and debit card not allowing transactions more than 250 because I'm young.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I can't say whether or not they will be in store that day, but you can go to Apple's retail site, get the phone number for your store, and call that day after announcements ;)

link.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

New iPods will be in store on the 5th for sure. Don't know about the multitouch ones, but definitely the new Nanos and probably all of them.

17. cbtscheid macrumors newbie

Nice Idea

I usually keep my toys for a really long time and don't sell them off, so this engraved message would be great if it was lost or stolen. How does the free engraving work? Do you request it at the retail Apple Store at the time of purchase, or is it only offered if you buy online?

18. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

It's online only, as far as I can tell. I suppose they could order one in for you but only if you paid instore, and the wait would likely be just the same — that is, if they even offer that which I don't think they do. But you can get it engraved anywhere, like at jewellers or suchlike though probably not with the Apple font!

19. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

I went to Bluewater Apple UK day after the aluminimum imacs were announced and they were setting them up at the back of the store. It was late wednesday afternoon. 4pm... 20ish hours after the event.

20. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

No returns as in only if you decide you don't like it, right? I'm sure you can still return it if it doesn't work.

21. ddk121 macrumors 6502

I have an Apple Reseller near me (AT Computers, Cardiff). The store is nearly identical to an Apple Store, just a bit smaller. They only sell Apple products! I hope the have the new iPod's by Friday, as I am going away on Monday ;)

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Well, if it doesn't work, then you get it repaired or replaced under warranty (or through paying if AppleCare is expired). You don't return it, exactly. They just don't want to take a working iPod back with engraving as that destroys its value to others.