"If Liberals Hate Him, Trump Must Be Doing Something Right."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, May 12, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The headline from an editorial by former Milwaukee-area conservative talk-show host Charley Sykes.

Sykes makes a timely observation about the state of Conservative media, from Fox News to Rush Limbaugh, in the Trump era:

The Conservative media echo chamber will never hold Trump responsible for his failures and failings. They won't hold him to account for his lies or his crimes.

American Conservativism isn't about improving the lives of the American people. It's not about helping W. Virginia coal miners find jobs, or fixing America's crumbling infrastructure. It's not about fiscal Conservatism or balancing the budget.

It's about making liberals cry.

Even the most enthusiastic gun-owner has to know it's not a good idea to let the mentally-ill buy guns. But as long as it makes "liberal gun-grabbers" mad - that's the whole point.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah well, that's not a good long term plan, but no one ever accused republicans of being far sighted before. I like Charley. He's been pretty reasonable in his opinions since I first noticed him about a year ago. (Not sure what he was like before).

3. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

To be honest, and after living in SE Wisconsin for many years: He was terrible. To quote from the LA Times:

But as to Sykes himself:

I don't know when, or if, Conservatives in this country are going to have a "My God! What have I done?!" moment.

Hopefully, it's coming. But if not, then you can kiss the country's status as a functioning, law-abiding democracy goodbye.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I enjoy the hypocrisy of the left. Many wanted Comey fired right up until Trump actually fired him.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2017 ---

Linkage

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wurt?

The GOP is extremely long sighted, read the Powell memorandum and you'll see we've been steadily marching towards a corporate driven oligarchy for the better part of 40 years. Everything he called for has been carried out, from the corporate driven think tanks, to infiltration of neoliberalism in academia, to local school boards. They've been aiming for (and winning) these positions for decades.

Don't confuse the given makeup of the House or Senate (or Presidency) for the true bastions of power in America. They are important, very, but as far as American domestic and foreign policy are concerned this country has been run by the corporate (GOP/GOP-lite aka "third way democrats") powers and influence peddlers for decades.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

If they were truly visionary they would have appealed to other voting groups long ago and not ignored demographics. If you have to cheat the system in order to win, you're doing it wrong.

Waters is hypocritical I agree. She kept saying she never said she had called for Trump's impeachment even though she had. And I saw her do it against yesterday too! She must be one of those many politicians who think video and audio recording hasn't been invented yet. :rolleyes:

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

He should have been fired on day 1 of the Trump administration. Imagine the squealing from the right if Obama had done it. This is not about whether Comey should be fired, but for the reason for which he was dismissed, and therefore when he was dismissed, is the issue. It's May, when the Russian investigation refuses to die down. Trump has been in office since January.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well duh they're "doing it wrong" if the goal is to have a functional democracy. That's not the goal though. They're explicitly the party of billionaires and will do whatever it takes to maintain.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The reasons were clearly listed in the recommendation from the deputy DOJ director.

Link

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

And yet Trump stated in an interview that it was his idea.... The story keeps changing.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Imagine a neighborhood policeman who doesn't do a very good job at maintaining law and order on his beat.

The law-abiding citizens complain that they need a better policeman.

Then one day, a criminal kills that policeman.

And the criminal says to the people, "What are you complaining about? You always said you wanted a better cop."

That's what your logic sounds like to me.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Except Comey is very much alive and kicking. He was fired by Trump not Clinton.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

*Whoosh*

(And I know better. It's not really a "whoosh," it's more an intentional desire not to address the point.)

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Requesting assistance as to where to mark the border between conservative values and losing touch with reality. :oops: And you know, guys like this and Limbaugh have a dedicated audience who chug their Koolaid. :mad:

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, Trump praised Comey. It cuts both ways.
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2017 ---
    It's akin to watching a 777 fly over his head and he's still demanding that flight is impossible.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And that is perhaps the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

Has conservatives really been reduced to a bunch of six year olds?

17. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

I had a good laugh when Waters said that Clinton would have fired Comey because of what he did to her :D:D

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

I never wanted Comey fired. He did what was appropriate IMHO. Congress was notified that the Clinton investigation was closed. New information surfaced. Comey updated Congress on the status of the investigation.

Clinton and her supportes can berate Comey until the end of time. Prudence dictates that a person who will run for nation office avoid certain activities. The choice was Clinton's to make.

I have not been able to think of any other Dem I would not have voted for especially with trump on the other side. Still can't come up with a name.

I voted third party. I was not willing to let the two Deplorables discourage me from voting. I considered voting down ticket races only but reconsidered and went third party.

19. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

The left doesn't agree with Comey firing because it was done under shady circumstances. Trump/Russia investigation is underway. Trump and his swamp creatures can't keep their story straight on why Comey got fired.

That doesn't raise flags to you?

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Only if a Democrat did it, especially Hillary. Then it would be battle stations, all hands on deck. But when the person has a R in front of their name, some are MIA in criticism. I wonder how bad it would have to get before most of the R's in congress and some people here would raise concern?

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah because there aren't any rich democrats and they are all about the "people" and fairness. Uh huh. Great.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You need to get your team sport blinders off and realize that the GOP is nakedly the party of billionaires, the DNC is nakedly the party of the "managerial class" and the the other 90% of America has no real representation.

So while you're crying over the mean words I have for the GOP somehow thinking that I have any good will for the DNC I'll be continuing to pay attention to the fact that they're all *******s trying to undermine any chance the majority of Americans live in anything other than wage slavery.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

The Dems are the ones pushing to keep immigration high and illegals here, both of which are the groups keeping hourly wages low. Why pay an American more when a newb from Samolia will do the job for low peanuts. We don't need droves of low skilled, low-wage workers coming from outside our borders. We need to pick-n-choose who we let in and why a lot better than we are doing.

24. NT1440, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The Dems, lol.

Learn some history, "worker instability" (what you're actually describing while blaming it on immigration in a not too well thought out manner) has been a hallmark labor policy going back over 20 years through democratic and republican administrations alike. Everyone was gushing about it when Greenspan was in power. Look it up.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Very few people are coming illegally anymore...