Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
as the title says, If lion isnt coming out tomorrow as the rumors say, are you going to install the Golden Master and be done with it or are you going to wait for the next rumored date which is July 14 for apple to officially release it?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I think the GMs are going to get full software upgrade support.

After all, they are the final version.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Personally... and I might be the oddball here but I'll probably just go about life as usual. It's only an OS for a laptop.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I think the GMs are going to get full software upgrade support.

After all, they are the final version.

Software updates, yes. But with support he meant being able to call Apple and say 'fix it' if it doesn't work.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Software updates, yes. But with support he meant being able to call Apple and say 'fix it' if it doesn't work.
Shouldn't matter.

If the software is one and the same it should work as one and the same.

Plus, the second a software upgrade is offered through download all software will equally be the same.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Shouldn't matter.

If the software is one and the same it should work as one and the same.

Plus, the second a software upgrade is offered through download all software will equally be the same.

You don't get it.

If you were to install Lion now, you'd be on your own if something went wrong. Call Apple and say "I'm installing Lion and <foo> is wrong" and they'll say "sorry, can't help you bye <click>". The same for Snow Leopard and they can help you.

That will only change when Lion is officially released. It'll be the same software, but the support is entirely different.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
You don't get it.
Did the OP mention hardware support?

Because if he did, then yes, I didn't get it.

If he didn't, then my reply was spot on.

My impression is that he's worried about software support and I don't see there being any problem.

We are a few days - 2 weeks shy of official Lion release. Installing the GM is going to give you the same release as the retail and I don't expect there being any major hardware problems or otherwise caused by the installation of it.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Personally... and I might be the oddball here but I'll probably just go about life as usual. It's only an OS for a laptop.

I thought you already had Lion installed?

So… after a long day of trimming Steve's hair he gave me a copy of Lion instead of a tip. After about 6 hours of checking it out I think I'd rather have the tip.

The next time I see him I'm going to suggest a few things like...

Give me the option to disable Spaces...

Kuray

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
I've just Installed Lion to another partition of my Mac.

When it will become available, I will delete that partition in my 2nd HD and install again.

Also I will install it to the my 1st SSD from Mac App Store

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Yes. On an external drive I boot from just to play with. Im still on Snow Leopard.

I can't believe there are people here that will download that thing on the day it's released and install it on top of SL with no way of going back. But hey... go for it... and scream loudly about the bugs and features so us hold-outs can get onboard with 10.7.1 by the end of August. Much appreciated!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Steve's Barber said:
Yes. On an external drive I boot from just to play with. Im still on Snow Leopard.

I can't believe there are people here that will download that thing on the day it's released and install it on top of SL with no way of going back. But hey... go for it... and scream loudly about the bugs and features so us hold-outs can get onboard with 10.7.1 by the end of August. Much appreciated!

Unless you use your Mac to earn your living, I think your statement is pretty irrelevant to the average consumer or enthusiasts just wanting to have the latest. No harm in having a bit of fun exploring a brand new OS, even though it may be riddled with early bugs.

It isn't the end of the world. As Apple has shown with SL, early OS updates will be swift.

silexh

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
The Netherlands
I'm going to wait with upgrading until I get netatalk with replay cache support working in Ubuntu 10.04 (so I can make time machine backups over lan)
But I'm not that impressed either.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless you use your Mac to earn your living, I think your statement is pretty irrelevant to the average consumer or enthusiasts just wanting to have the latest.
Yes, I need my mac to earn my keep. But be we student or part of the work force most of us depend on our macs to at least augment daily tasks. But of course, All FaceBookers and Tweeters... upgrade to your heart's content and don't look back. I'm counting on these types to merrily skip and hop through the minefield of bugs which are inherent in any dot-zero release.

Maybe even a few early adopter FCPX users can take the plunge as well. :eek:

No harm in having a bit of fun exploring a brand new OS, even though it may be riddled with early bugs.
True enough but "exploring" to me implies finding a way back to where you started if need be. Unlike Lewis and Clark though, most OSX Lion up-graders will be stuck in DeadSkunk, North Dakota waiting for the missionaries to bring them updates. (No thanks. I've been to DeadSkunk).

early OS updates will be swift.
Yes, but Apple updates won't help if that oddball application you have only works properly in SL. (As I recall, there were a few of those).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.