if Macbook air's had 3g, could you use your ipad 3g plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sammyman, Apr 10, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

If macbook air's came out with integrated 3g service, could you have 1 plan with ATT for $15/month and use it with both the iPad and the Macbook air? Or would you have to have 2 separate plans?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Doubt it will end up happening but you would need two separate plans like iPhone and iPad because you will need 2 sim cards. Also 250MB on an laptop will go in a matter of minutes. I have iStat on my MBP. I restarted it 4 hours ago, have done very mild web-browsing and have used over 500MB since last restart. 2GB for 25 dollars would go in like a day. Unlimited would be needed.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If the iPod nano had a keyboard, could you send SMS with it? Since we're on a sci fi hypothesis tangent...

How can anyone even begin to guess what the rules of a cross device plan might be? There are 2 different plans for iPhone and iPad...why would a MacBook be any different?

4. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i was thinking more along the lines of:

if an iphone could use an ipad as a bluetooth keyboard, would you like broccoli?

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Two different plans, sorry...AT&T isn't out to save you cash. Each is their own SIM card. Unless Apple really pushed them, I can't see either company doing this(unless they add a price bump too it, it is just making the bill simpler, maybe save a few bucks if they only add 10 for double the data, but who knows)

Easiest solution would be to use iPhone as mobile hotspot, but even then your pay extra cash. Apple could add it to iPads as well....then you'd have another way to use 3G.

The original question also seem unlikely, I highly doubt Apple will put any 3G in their Air, they want that thing small as possible.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

AT&T and Verizon aren't going to let another chance to grab $20 or so from you go untouched. So therefore, no. Your best option IMHO is to have a phone that uses a personal hotspot and activate that when you need it. They still get your $20, but you at least don't get jobbed on the 3G hardware and you aren't limited to this device or that device.

8. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

"I hate broccoli, and yet, in a certain sense, I am broccoli."
    - The Tick.

9. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I guess the OP asked if this were technologically possible. Yes, technologically it's possible but whether or not the phone companies would allow it is another question.

From a technical standpoint, the iPhone SIM card should be insertable and be used in the iPad 2 SIM slot but it doesn't work because AT&T limits it.

10. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Somebody tried to put an USB modem in his MBA. I think it turned out well for him

11. princealyy macrumors regular

I have a data card and I only use about 3 gb in it max unless I surf videos. Highly doubt we will be seeing data caps over 5th anytime soon.

12. goMac macrumors 603

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?