Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Now I know what REM was singing about. It's the end of the world as we know it.:eek:
Granted, the software is kinda cool in a lame Disney way, but those infofilms are horrible, just horrible.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
You've all got to watch this video from Microsoft. A special prize for those who can make it all the way to the end.

I made it to the end (I feel really sick though)... what did I win? :D

Please don't tell me I won a Songsmith Family Pack... but a way to block those images from my memory would be nice now.

Seriously, what a terrible ad & product!

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
In Concept

In concept this is actually a great idea.

However, in execution-what the Hell were they thinking? It looks awful, the music it "creates" sounds like midi file you'd find on a Geocities site from 15 years ago, and it doesn't have any of the polish of Garageband '04...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I made it to the end (I feel really sick though)... what did I win? :D

Cookie.jpg

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008

Delicious.... Thanks! I still wonder if watching that was worth it... plus I also watched the Seinfeld-Gates saga some months ago... I wish I could turn back time and avoid the whole thing - MS does have the worst marketing dept ever. Do they have the "where do you want to go" slogan? I guess the answer is: AWAY FROM MICROSOFT.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Thanks for the link, Blue Velvet. But there should be some kind of warning, I think. I barely survived this video. I had to gnaw one of my arms off. :eek:

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Microsoft Corporation, Delivering you another WTF.

That should be there new slogan. :rolleyes: :D

EDIT: This is the link to the store. They are selling this for $30!! Then you have iLife for $79. I know what I would choose.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Wow the last time this much hurt came out of my screen was when I watched those ads of Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld. WTF.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
You've all got to watch this video from Microsoft. A special prize for those who can make it all the way to the end.

Couldn't do it. The music horrible. And they're discriminating that beautiful MBP

Is it really from M$?

two points of interest:
1) "So it's from Microsoft. It's pretty easy to use, huh?"
2) they use a MBP

Except for Copysoft's products aren't easy to use.
You'll probably need a good amount of ram to run it since their current OS takes at least 2GB to run smoothly.
Just like M$ todo that.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Seems like a pretty cool app if it works well. Microsoft Research has always had interesting projects going.

I don't understand why some would call it a copy GarageBand. The only thing they have in common is that they are music software.
I would rather call it a Band-in-a-box copy if anything.

They got some pretty cool technology back in the 90s when they bought Blue Ribbon Soundworks (makers of Bars & Pipes for the Amiga). Wouldn't surprise me if some of that was used in this app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.