If My ATT Account Is Terminated, Can I Keep My iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pdpfilms, Jul 17, 2009.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm living in Montana. ATT's not coming for at least another year. However, I was just booted from TMobile for excessive roaming, and am now looking for an alternative network.

I'm tempted to sign up with ATT using an alternate address in a ATT area, and see how long I can go before I get booted for excessive roaming. But the key here is whether or not I can keep my iPhone.

Does anyone here have any experience getting the boot from ATT? Did you get to keep your phone?

UPDATE (Aug 26): ATT will (though possibly unofficially) let you keep your iPhone if you are one of the few that fulfills the above description.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you terminate within the first month of service, no, you have to return it.

Otherwise, yes.

3. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Now keep in mind it would be THEM terminating my contract, not me.

What then?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, that's interesting...

Keep it. Yell at them for not having service. :p I believe this is without precedent.

5. Boesky macrumors 6502

wouldnt they need to see your transcript and review your scores?

6. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why would AT&T terminate your account?
    If they do you'll pay regardless.

8. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

For excessive roaming. It's in their terms and conditions.

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Providers will terminate your contract if you excessively roam on other networks. Usually that's defined by if your roaming minutes exceed non roaming minutes.

Watch the data portion though as they may charge for that.

10. frunze macrumors member

I actually think it's a brilliant strategy, and I would go for it without a doubt.

UNLESS...

unless there is a provision in the terms and conditions that you might be responsible for $175 termination fee, in which case I would still go for it and then dispute it because it's not your fault they aren't providing coverage where you live.

11. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

From the iPhone specific terms and conditions:
    I see nothing about returning the phone... do you?

EDIT: of note, one fairly clueless CSR told me you can either keep the phone and pay the $175 ETF, or return the phone and waive the ETF. However, he also said the off-net limit was 51%, not 40% like the T&C states. I'm guessing he was making it up...

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Ahhh yet another "How's this for a scam to avoid paying full price for an iPhone" thread.

Gotta luv these.

13. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm sorry, but I live in a non-ATT service area, and you're presuming I'm trying to scam Apple because of this? I'd be happy to pay whatever fees ATT incurs on me, so long as I can keep my iPhone.

So presumptuous.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I believe you have to be excessively roaming for 3 months before they'll terminate you, so it's a moot point.

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

Apple and AT&T...

You are scamming them because you are trying to figure out how to get a phone at a reduced price without paying on a full contract. It is a scam, sugar coat it however you want. :rolleyes:

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Give it a go. If you they want the phone back, give it back, but i doubt they will want a phone that has been used for 3 months back, but you never know.

17. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I would LOVE to pay a full contract and in fact this is what I'm trying to do. However, it is exceptionally likely ATT will terminate my account because they don't provide proper coverage here. If they elect not to, I will ride out the 2 year contract with no objections. Sugar coating? I don't think so.

18. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

get an M-cell and call a lot of 900 numbers while at home!

19. daflake macrumors 6502a

Perhaps if you didn't word your original post like you were trying to get booted then some wouldn't think you were trying to get over. Everything you said indicates this is what you want. If it isn't then you need to simply get one and be done with it. Likely you would get to keep the phone.

20. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

This is true. In the interest of brevity, I left out a lot and worded it quite brusquely. Hopefully at this point my intentions are clear- I want to purchase an iPhone 3Gs from either Apple or ATT and keep it.

21. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

No, he clearer wants an iPhone, but expects to be kicked off again due to previous experiences.

22. lavinci macrumors 6502

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

Fair enough! ;)

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

AT&T won't charge you an ETF or ask for the phone back if they can you for excessive roaming that you may use for an extended period of traveling around the country, even though your home address is in an AT&T coverage area, but if you deliberately mislead them and give a false address when signing up, all bets are off, they may ask for the phone back or an ETF

25. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

That makes sense. Luckily I can use my home address (I'm currently attending school).