If my iPhone 3G was stolen, can they still use it as an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AreYouAMac, Oct 2, 2008.

1. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Sup guys,

I was pumping gas and my first 2g iPhone was stolen. The ****** even picked up the damn phone bragging about how he stole it. Well I'm done with that.

Now I'm am thinking about getting the 3g, and if this phone were to be stolen, I call in to AT&T and block the phone, will the thief still be able to use the phone for other stuff (i.e. - iPod, wifi, etc.)?

I know calls will not be able to be made, but if I report it stolen and AT&T blocks the IMEI and what not, will they still be able to connect to iTunes, restore it to factory conditions and use it still as an iPod - putting music into the iPhone through iTunes? If so, then that means they will be able to upgrade it too (2.2), use wifi and what not right?

I'm just sad guys. That's all. Haha. Basically the arse-whipe gets a free iPod with camera if he still can use it as an iPod. OR when you call in and report the new 3G iphone stolen, all the functions do not work? Can the phone still even be upgraded to 2.2 and future updates?

Thanks guys for listening to my rant / questions.

Sorry for an extra question but, what purpose does the IMEI do if an unlock comes out and the thief use it onto another carrier? Will the phone still be blocked?

2. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

3. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

But will iTunes still allow them to put music / pictures / whatever onto the phone? I.E. - all functions still work besides the calling feature..AND still be able to update the phone?

It I report it stolen then shouldn't the serial # be blacklisted and when they try to update the iPhone via iTunes, it will block them from doing so, and also from adding stuff to the phone?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

They can also send it to any other country and then use it on any network

Here in the UK, if the phone is blocked on o2 network it is blocked on all.. i guess they don't do that in the US

5. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I hear about that..

I'm not sure if they do the same in the U.S. Some say they do. some say they don't. I don't know my self.

6. xjohnx macrumors newbie

Not on the 3G, it's my understanding that while the 3G has been jailbroken, it has yet to be unlocked.

7. bwhite850 macrumors newbie

More Accurate: You stole an iPhone and are trying to figure out how to use it as an iPod.

8. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Sounds like it... ;)

9. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

I'm asking cause I hope the phone does not work if i call into AT&T.

Someone stole my first 2g and I know that they could use it as an iPod. Since the 3g is somewhat differen't I dont want the phone to be functional at all.

10. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Honestly, does this really matter? If you get your 3G stolen, and they decide to use it either as an ipod or an expensive coaster, what difference would it make to you? Buy a 3G, and just be careful not to lose it. That's all there is to it dude, whether or not someone can use it as an iPod is really irrelevant...but to answer, yes they can, but really why would this matter if the phone is going to be out of your possession anyways?

The reason you're being accused is because the details of your questions are quite sketchy...i mean if i lose my phone, why the hell would i care if someone is able to listen to my music or not? IT'S GONE. End of story. :rolleyes:

11. AreYouAMac thread starter macrumors regular

cause if they try to connect it to itunes, then itunes would register it, thus making it unusable and hopefully relay it back to apple or what not and take note of the IP Address.

And besides, i would rather the phone be a heavy ass paper weight than a working ipod. why give them the option of 2 rewards (i.e. finding an iphone and being able to use it) when hopefully it will turn out to be only 1 - which is just to find the iphone and not be able to use it.

I just asked a simple question, no need to be assuming. but since you answered my question the problem is solved. thank you.

12. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Do what you're supposed to do when you lose critical data...change your passwords immediately. You can also dispute any charges if they are linked to credit cards (debit cards don't count, usually)...standard stuff.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No blocking of IEMI, iPhone doesn't get bricked, nothing stops the thief from treating the iPhone as if it was his/her own. More than likely, they'll sell it and your data is not protected unless you do the autolock, and they make ten attempts to unlock your iPhone and then all info gets wiped automatically, and poof, you are done with that iPhone...:(