if my MBA is charged from 0% to 100% every single day, how long will it last?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jaranson, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Jaranson macrumors member

if my MBA is charged from 0% to 100% every single day, how long will it last?

my previous laptop, a HP Envy, lasted less than 16 months before I had to
    but a new battery. It was used several hours daily for work and other stuff.

I anticipate the same amount of usage for my new MBA.

If the battery goes kaput before the 1-year warranty ends, will Apple replace
    it? (or within the 3-year AppleCare plan?)

Thanks!

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That will be 1 cycle a day and we expect the Air's battery to go 800-1000 cycles so that's like 2.5-3 years..

Am not up on latest battery tech but I just read a disturbing article that says a Wintel machine don't guarantee u beyond 300 cycles!

3. rapicell macrumors regular

Also to comment on your applecare, apple will not replace the battery for free unless there's a defect. So basically if you kill it and it's within normal conditions, you're going to have to pay for a new one

4. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I had a friend whose battery gave that "replace/service soon" message. Applecare covered it.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is slightly misleading, because Apple doesn't officially guarantee them for 800-1000 cycles under warranty even with Applecare. I can't find the official policy, but the topic has come up before. It's probably something along the lines of they'll replace a defective battery free of charge, just not a worn out battery.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

You are obsessed with batteries.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Not sure how you define "several hours" or what you will be doing. But you will probably not run a MBA battery all the way down to 0% every day with this kind of use.

8. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Batteries are a consumable item, like lead in a pencil.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;

Once the kool aid empty time to buy another glass.

Did you really have to ask? Really

9. Jaranson thread starter macrumors member

the battery seems ridiculously easy to replace... does Apple or 3rd party sell it for the MBA?

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think it is $129 to have apple replace the battery. I had to buy a replacement for a daughter's HP computer... and it was about the same price (I think $139).

/Jim

11. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yes, of course they do.
    also, try not to run your battery down to 0%