If my mom is eligible for upgrade, can she buy an iPhone 4 and hand it over to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozreth, Jun 9, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I'm assuming this will work. She buys the iPhone, gives it to me and goes back to her regular plan and regular phone. I take the new iPhone and stay on my iPhone plan. Seems too easy though...

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, as long as she doesn't mind paying for data she doesn't get to use every month.

Otherwise, she'll have to pay the cancellation fee in order to drop the iPhone plan. I don't know how much that fee is, but I'm guessing AT&T thought of this and made it higher than the cost of the phone.

3. truciet macrumors 6502

Above is incorrect.

Yes you can use your mom's upgrade to get the iPhone and call or go to AT&T and swap the iPhone 4 to your line. The line your mom uses does not get charged a fee and she doesn't have to keep the data plan.

The only company I know that does this is T-Mobile.

Example:

Line 1 buys a HTC HD2, Line 1 is required to keep the data plan on her line for the full 2 years! If Line 1 gives the HTC HD2 to Line 2, BOTH Lines 1 and 2 will have the data plan on the account :mad:

4. jtara macrumors 65816

Not really, you may.

But I couldn't resist getting-in my favorite movie line.

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Yes.

Just put your SIM card in there and initiate with itunes.

Your account, and thereofore your expenses, are tied to the SIM account not the rest of the hardware.

6. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Shes on AT&T already though. I don't think it costs money to drop down to a regular plan. That would be insane ha. What if you lose/sell/break your iPhone and can't afford to buy a new one?

7. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Why do you people give such definite answers when you have NO IDEA of what you're talking about. Do you pull random ass thoughts out of your ass? If so, that is okay, just next time be sure to say "Well, I'm not sure" or "I think" first. When you blatantly tell someone this or this will happen, without knowing for sure you cause nothing but MORE discrepancies and MORE confusion.

8. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Except that you are going to have to change your Mini-sim card to micro Sim.

10. 007dav91 macrumors member

u might have been able to before, but now that the iphone takes the micro sim you will have to cut down ur current sim, also they might port ur mums account to the micro sim when its inserted first so that might cause problems.

11. truciet macrumors 6502

Above is correct. Once the iPhone 4 is activated, they will deactivate her current sim card (regular size). You will have to go to the nearest AT&T store and get new sim cards for your mom and yourself.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

OP, you'll be switching phone numbers too unless you want to go to AT&T and request a new SIM (free).

13. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Not sure I follow you. The thread starter wouldn't activate the micro-sim on his mom's line. When he goes through the itunes activation he would place his number in instead so why would that happen?

14. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Because there will be millions of factory-sealed iPhone 4 boxes come June 24, it's likely they'll all ship to us with an unprogrammed micro-SIM card. I therefore came up with a theory that might explain how we'll be able to preorder it at the price we're hoping to get:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=932330

Basically, you enter in your mom's number on Apple's site, you order it for the eligible price discount, it gets shipped to your house, you activate it with your number, and that's it.

15. Marlon177 macrumors member

what about the data plan, can u remove the data plan?

16. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

How would he be "switching numbers"?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

micro-sim comes with the phone. Plug into iTunes...activate on your number.

Done.

18. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I haven't done it myself but the general consensus is that today's SIM cards can be trimmed down with no ill effect.

change out sim cards before hooking up to itunes

19. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, the sim arrives unassociated w/ any account until you plug it into iTunes and activate.

21. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

ok. I never pressed my luck. I changed cards out first then activated :D

22. saves macrumors newbie

I don't know if any of you guys can answer this one, but it's related and worth a shot. Say we have a family plan with an iphone 3g already on it. Would it be possible to use an upgrade from a non-iphone to the iphone 4, and transfer the unlimited data from the current iphone 3g to the 4 and give the 3g the capped plan? But the number for the phones would stay the same.

In other words, the 3G will now have a capped plan and the 4, on a number that didn't previously have a data plan, will now have the unlimited data plan.

Possible?

23. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As for people quoting me about activation, you're correct. I forgot they're allowing in-home activations again.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, you can do most of what you are asking, but not move the unlimited data plan between phone lines.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, here's the revised version.

I'm not sure why AT&T would just give you $400 for no reason, so I don't see how this can work. I think that would be totally insane of them so I really can't imagine it happening. I don't really know, though, so I guess you can ask them and see if they've gone crazy.

I didn't really think they'd gone crazy, but apparently you folks are saying they have. Well, that's good for the O.P. I guess.