If my TV's USB port charges my Apple Watch will it power a Roku Streaming Stick?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Caliber26, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I have an older Vizio TV (2012 model) in my home office and it has one USB port in it. I recently got rid of cable so I need something to stream on it with and a Roku Streaming Stick is my top pick specifically because of its ability to be powered by USB. Because my TV is ancient by today's standards, I'm not 100% sure if the USB port will power the Roku.

I did plug my Apple Watch's USB chord to it and it appears to charge my watch with no problem. Should it be able to the Roku as well if it worked with my watch?

2. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Roku sticks don't drain much power at all. My 2009 Panasonic TV's USB port powers one of the purple sticks quite happily.

3. Caliber26 thread starter macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I actually called Vizio, in hopes they'd be able to tell me what the power output was on that specific model and they kept assuring me it didn't provide power and that it was only there for it to display pics from a USB drive. I went ahead and got the Roku and I'm thrilled to report that it does, indeed, work!

I should also note that I am so impressed with the Roku interface. It's just as good as Apple's IMO, and seems to have a wider range of viewing options. As much as I love my Apple toys, I honestly can't see what more they're offering on the TV versus their competition, other than AirPlay. While it is a neat feature, it's not one that I personally use very often.

4. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Glad it worked out. I'm surprised they told you it doesn't provide any power at all though. That's in the USB spec.

Roku have by far the best solution IMO. None of the vendors have a perfect product yet, but the Roku sticks in particular are great bits of kit for the small amount you pay. They're a solid purchase. Have fun :)