If new iMacs are released with ML, will they be cheaper in the UK than current model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr-Stabby, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

I have to submit a quote to the Finance department in my workplace for 30 Macs by the end of next week. They have agreed to let me wait for the possibility of new models coming out at the end of July, however they want the quote to be finalised and to be at least close to the actual cost of the machines. Now usually with one machine if it goes up £30 or £40 thats no problem, but £40x30 is an extra £1200, so big difference if the iMac goes up by even £40.

Do iMacs usually go down in price when they release new models, or up? I'm sure the strength of the Pound compared to the Dollar makes a difference to pricing too. Just how is that doing at the moment compared to other iMac releases?

A lot of questions i know, but thanks in advance :) Just in case it makes any difference, we'd be ordering the base model with no extras.

2. Fuith macrumors member

AFAIK, they usually stay about the same. Although, here in Ireland the new MBP and MBA models went up in price, probably because of the dollar/euro exchange rate at the moment. I think the price went down in the states. They're probably going to differ price-wise to the current models as the currency markets are very volatile at the moment.

3. d0nK macrumors 6502

Yeah riiiight. Apple have their very own currency conversion and overseas markup that has nothing to do with reality. Americans get reasonably-priced Apple products and everywhere else get very expensive Apple products. Sucks but that's the way Apple like it.

4. harcosparky, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

harcosparky macrumors 68020

And GOVERNMENT TAXES have nothing to do with it?

In the states the Federal Government imposes no taxes, that is left up to each individual state.

My $2,000 (USD) iMac bought in Delaware is $120 cheaper than the same iMac bought in Maryland. However the iMac bought in Maryland is cheaper than the same iMac purchased in New York.

5. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

20% VAT has something to do with it.

6. AndyCarolan macrumors member

Have iMac prices stayed consistent between models historically? I would think that when the a new model comes out, it will retain the same price albeit with a the increase in specification.

7. G4DP macrumors 65816

Price increases have nothing to do with the VAT added. Yes they increase the initial cost compared to other countries but it doesn't justify increasing the price.

8. Pernille macrumors newbie

Even adjusted for taxes, Apple's prices in Europe are approximately 6-8% higher than in the US.

Some of the reasons for that could be currency hedging, and the European consumer protection laws mandating a 2 year warranty.

So to estimate the new UK price, take the expected US price, add 7%, and convert to GBP using the current exchange rate. Add 20% VAT if relevant in your case.