Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

would you play your games on a MBP?

• Yes, I would play most of my games on it

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Yes, but not very many games

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • No, I would not take it seriously for gaming

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • No, I do not ever play games

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters

MagicMouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Thought a poll about this could be interesting.

I would play games on it.

twilightrose

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Thought a poll about this could be interesting.

I would play games on it.

I most definantly would play games on it as well....if the technology in it is capable of playing modern games decently. Decent being mid-high settings depending on the game.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
im just hoping that the new MBP's 13" that are going to be released, are able to play SC2 on HIGH settings or MED. not low :/

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If it could be done without the machine burning through my lap then yes:D I've noticed when I play games (offline and online) for a while on my 2009 uMBP it burns, to the point where it actually hurts and I have to stick a blanket or something between me and the lappy... lol. Thats the only bad thing about laptops playing games in my opinion (and a smaller screen).:D

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
A Mac laptop can probably never replace a high-end gaming PC.
For a little game of AgeOfEmpires here and there, that's alright - but not more than that.
I'm not a gamer, but why buy the latest games with astonishing graphics if your laptop cannot handle those and you have to play on medium settings.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
For a little game of AgeOfEmpires here and there, that's alright - but not more than that.
I'm not a gamer, but why buy the latest games with astonishing graphics if your laptop cannot handle those and you have to play on medium settings.

True, but its good also for relaxing mindless sorta games like feeding frenzy and world of goo:D I mainly play small games like that on my 13" MBP, and Age of Empires...

MagicMouse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010

I did not intend this thread to suggest MacBook Pro's could replace high end gaming pc's. My question was simply who would use them as a gaming outlet and how often.

We are in the wake of Steam coming to Mac and that could really open up new venues for mac gaming.

I would be very interested in this experience. I am not a heavy gamer but do love Age of Empires, Team Fortress 2, and other games. I would love to play TF2 on the go with my 17" MacBook Pro!

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
If the 13" is good enough for games, I'll buy it. If not, I'll buy an Asus or a Sony. Both brands have models which should satisfy my needs.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
im just hoping that the new MBP's 13" that are going to be released, are able to play SC2 on HIGH settings or MED. not low :/

I would usually disregard this message but I was actually surprised at the performance on a MacBook Pro. Downloaded the beta and watched a replay on high settings and wasn't completely satisfied with it. From the looks of it, the game ran pretty smoothly except for scrolling. It was definitely not as smooth feeling like the fps was very low. I know it's a bad comparison but I was expecting the scrolling to feel like Warcraft III but it was nothing near smooth like it.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
I already do all my gaming on a macbook pro, have been for a few years now.

I have the high end unibody 15" and there hasnt been a game yet that I couldn't play on higher settings: Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Crysis, Lord of the Rings Online etc.

My only question is will the new 13" be able to handle games better? I am hoping to downsize to a 13" but this will be a big deciding factor. I know the current 13" can hold its own with games, but I like a bit more power.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I did not intend this thread to suggest MacBook Pro's could replace high end gaming pc's. My question was simply who would use them as a gaming outlet and how often.

We are in the wake of Steam coming to Mac and that could really open up new venues for mac gaming.

I would be very interested in this experience. I am not a heavy gamer but do love Age of Empires, Team Fortress 2, and other games. I would love to play TF2 on the go with my 17" MacBook Pro!

Sorry, I guess I misread your thread then.

To answer your poll, no, I wouldn't use a MBP for gaming even if it would be capable of doing so.

Interestingly, AgeOfEmpires is the only game I play lately and that game seems to be still quite popular. :D

Ibari

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Spain
I'm going to play World of Warcraft, PopCap games, and a variety of shooters on it (Bioshock, Unreal Tournament, etc.) when they finally release the stupid update XD, I think these games will go smoothly on the MacBook Pro, don't you think? :)

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I don't really care for using a laptop for games. For one the performance will never match a good desktop system, but the laptop part is kinda useless because I don't want to game on a small screen so if I connect to an external display I might as well use a desktop.

Not to mention since gaming is pretty much a Windows thing, I don't want to boot into Win7 just for that. I'd rather just use one operating system per machine.

A.W.E.S.O.M.-0

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010

I'm also eagerly awaiting SC2, recently I've been playing SC again over LAN, oldschool. Such a well balanced game, it looks outdated but still plays like a dream.

Blizzard recently released the system minimum requirements for the Beta:

• Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7
• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
• 1024x768 minimum display resolution
• 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
• Broadband connection

From a communication a while back:

Minumum Requirements
GFX: GeForce 7/8 Series or Radeon 1000/2000 with 256 MB RAM
CPU: Pentium 4
RAM: 1 GB
Internet: ADSL 1 Mbit

Recommended Requirements
GFX: GeForce 8000 or Radeon 2000 series with 512 MB RAM
CPU: Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2.
RAM: 2 GB
Internet: ADSL 3 Mbit

Optimal Requirements
GFX: Geforce 9000er or Radeon 3000er Series
CPU: Core 2 Duo 3 GHz or Athlon X2
RAM: 2GB with DualChannel mode

Ergo, it must be REALLY weird if you can't play sc2 on med or high on a modern mbp. Hell, I think this would even be possible on a MBP SR

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.