If next iPhone is 4", would you prefer elongated screen or keep same aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jul 27, 2012.

1. thermal macrumors regular

Plenty of rumors that the next iPhone may have an elongated 4 inch screen.

If the next iPhone indeed does go to 4 inches, would you prefer the rumored elongated screen, or a 4 inch screen that maintains the current aspect ratio?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Elongated because I've been using my iPhone more and more often with 1-hand and realized that if the phone was wider, it would be more difficult to hold and to navigate my thumb across the keyboard.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Elongated for:

One handed use
    Doesn't break a lot of apps
    16:9 video recording (hopefully they do this...I'm sure they will)

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think it's strange that Tim Cook and Steve Jobs both spoke about doing things better by not being held back by the past.

And yet people want to stay married to the same aspect ratio and resolution so developers don't get upset.

If it was my call, 4" 3:2 aspect ratio 720P class display.

4" 3:2 display > 4" 16:9 display

5. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Do you people have little child hands, I can use a HTC oneX with one hand no problem. You folks with little baby hands are just going to have to get used to bigger screens because I think you are in the minority here.

4.5" would be a fair compromise in my opinion.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's very nice of you:D

7. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am not trying to be mean but I don't get the whole I want to be able to use one hand thing. The iPhone feels tiny in my hand and by no means do I have freakishly large Michael Jordan hands so I don't see how a 4.5" phone would be to big for most grown adults.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think 4" would be fine, havent held a 4.5" yet but I dont think its a big deal. I do have small hands but I would like a bigger all around iphone instead of just a taller/longer one.

9. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Whatever keeps the user experience the best. I can't really say I know how the experience would be altered.

I don't want apps to break, and I want to be able to continue to use the phone comfortably with one hand. I can't do that with some of the bigger phones on the market. The ergonomics of the iPhone feel perfect. Maybe I'm just used to it... but I do have smallish hands for a man (probably about average hands, maybe slightly above average for all adult humans) and the iPhone is a perfect fit in my hand. I can use it for extended periods of time with 1 or 2 hands without feeling discomfort.

To be quite honest, I'd be perfectly happy if the screen didn't get any bigger... or maybe just extend the screen a tenth or couple tenths and leave the dimensions the same.

----------

I have averageish sized hands and if the phone were much bigger, I would be unable to hold the phone and touch every part of the screen with my thumb. That is key for me.

10. lazard macrumors 65816

11. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I just don't see how the elongated screen helps in portrait mode. You wouldn't have to scroll as much but that's not a big deal to me. I would rather have an overall bigger screen. If they keep the same aspect ratio then the keyboard would be wider in portrait mode and webpages would look better. If the screen goes form edge to edge with no boarder and you add a couple millimeters on either side then it would still not be much bigger and easily usable in one hand. I even think a 4.3" screen would be doable without making the phone much bigger. Not many people are going to use their iPhone for movie watching so I just don't get the need for widescreen.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Cue the faithful with their Apple hymn books. I swear to god some of you would support a 10 inch by 1 inch display if Apple bestowed it upon us. Give you another row of icons and you're happy campers for the next two years.

I'd go on, but I get warned enough around here.

13. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I don't really want elongated.. I want the screen to be much bigger! I wish the iphone got wider too... 4inches is not a good enough improvement!! I have really small hands but I wouldn't mind a phone with 4.5 inch screen. I think if I was a man, I would mind a bit more because it would be uncomfy carrying it in my pocket but since I carry a purse... bigger would be better! but of course.. i'm hoping for too much I guess.

14. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

What some people miss I think is that it's one thing to be able use it one handed and another to use one handed COMFORTABLY. I don't want to have to constantly stretch my thumb and change grips all the time to reach all 4 corners. I want the same grip and reach all 4 corners.

So yea, a 4.7 inch screen CAN be used one handed but not comfortably.

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Same. 4:3 iPad and 16:9 iPhone doesn't make sense. If anything it should be the other way around. 16:9 is better for video which you will watch a lot more of on the tablet.

16. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I drew up a 4.3" screen today, would be so nice to have.

2.25" wide x 3.25" tall x 4.3" diagonal screen. Then I drew the outside of the phone, and it's not much wider than my 3GS and just taller by maybe .5"

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Have you ever used a significantly larger phone because if you had, I'd suspect you would feel this way. In fact, having a longer phone is actually MORE detrimental to one handed use than wider.

I also have a Galaxy Nexus which checks in with something like 4.6". Contrary to the popular argument by the iPhone faithful, it's not two big to be used or carried comfortably however I do feel it's pushing the limit, especially for one handed use. The problem though isn't reaching across the screen but rather reaching the top of the phone. The top of the phone is already further from your thumb than the opposite side so just adding length is going to make it even harder to reach. Sure, the keyboard is at the bottom but trying to reach anything on the top is a stretch (i.e. notification bar).

Personally, I'd like to see 16:9 aspect ratio but do so by increasing both length and width as required, ideally to the 720p found on the newest Androids devices--4.3" seems ideal, IMO.

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

16:9 on a tablet sucks.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'd like the same aspect ratio, but not because I have a problem with change, but because I want more surface area. 4" 3:2 has a great deal more surface area than does a 4" 16:9.

20. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

How so? I keep hearing everyone say it does but no one wants to elaborate. No trying to argue, just gain another perspective. I just don't understand why 16:9 on a phone is so great but yet so bad on a tablet other than because Apple says so.

21. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

So far the poll results speak for themselves...

Not a chance in hell I'd upgrade my 4S for simply a longer screen.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It sucks because portrait looks really weird. It's too long and skinny. On the iPhone, it's ok b/c it's mainly used in portrait anyway. Or at least that's how Apple wants us to use it.

The idea behind iPad is that no matter which way you hold it, it feels right. There is no side, top, or bottom. 16:9 does not allow that.

----------

See my second post above

23. thecurryman macrumors 6502

too all the people who want the phone to be only TALLER because itll make one handed use the same or "easier" have y'all thought of this:

since the iphones "back" buttons are usually located on the top left, and to swipe the notification window down, you must swipe from the TOP; by making the phone elongated or taller, the distance from your thumb to the top would be higher, thus meaning that it would be more difficult to use the phone....

i personally believe that the next iphone will be the same or similar dimensions, but less bezel thus resulting in a larger screen, but same size..and i think the back will be different..

like think about it..apple making an only taller iphone? same look just longer? either they are really cocky and think they can milk customers for what its worth or they dont care about innovation!

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

25. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yes, but it's harder to reach the top of the phone if it is wider. It restricts the ability of your thumb to move. Taller but not wider is still easy to reach the top.