If no new iPad Pro this year, are you keeping your Air 2 on iOS 11?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, May 25, 2018.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I plan on upgrading to a new iPad Pro and finally retiring my Air 2 this year if a new model comes out. If it doesn't and you need to hold onto your Air 2 another year, do you plan on upgrading to iOS 12 or keeping it on iOS 11? I can't imagine a new iOS for 2018 will run smoothly on hardware from 2014.

2. Radon87000 macrumors 604

If you are on iOS 11, then upgrade to iOS 12 as iOS 12 will fix iOS 11.

3. PhoneMe1 Suspended

PhoneMe1

Air 2, worst iPad made, speaker vibration and screen distortion, sold that dog years ago.

4. ericwn macrumors 68000

I will most likely update Mine - if I see any interesting features that I want to use on that iPad.

5. ericwn macrumors 68000

And this relates to the topic how?

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

7. gobikerider macrumors 68020

gobikerider

I see the Air 2 doing very well on iOS 12 seeing as it was overall great on iOS 11. My mates with the Air 2 had relatively smooth sailing where as my new Pro was actually freezing and crashing until 11.2 I believe fixed it. It wasn’t till 11.3 that perfomance levels returned to iOS 10 levels and it still isn’t quite the same. Have high hopes for iOS 12

8. stealth.pilot macrumors newbie

stealth.pilot

I used my Air 2 with iOS11 until 2 moths ago, get a iPad Pro 10,5” with Apple keyboard from work. Even if there is no new iPP coming this year I would definitely upgrade to latest one, it’s just a beast of “workstation”!!!

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’m still using an iPad Air original as daily. No issues here.

Glad I skipped the air 2

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

The Air 2 has significantly reduced sound vibration, a laminated screen that doesn’t sound like a tap dance while using, and double the RAM. It was a huge upgrade.

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

My air doesn’t have any sound vibration. Nor a screen that sounds like a tap dance when touched.

I totally understand the air 2 is better but everything you listed describes what people dislike about the air 2 vs original.

So your post confuses me.

12. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Biggest issues that developed over time with my Air 2 was slow-downs & battery life.

Under IOS 11.4, battery life seems to be better, so if no new iPad is released this year, I can put up with the odd slow down. I'll also update to IOS12, like I normally do with all IOS devices...

Not sure where the criticism of the Air 2 comes from. It's been brilliant for me. Much better than the iPad 3 I had. The Air 2 reviewed very well iirc. Even after 2-3 years, I didn't think I needed an upgrade. Very solid device.

13. newellj macrumors 603

Still on 10.3.3, which runs noticeably faster than 11.4 (and has consistently run faster than every prior version of iOS 11).

OTOH, the feature set in 11 is becoming increasingly tempting, and 12 may run better than 11 (based on the presentation this morning at WWDC). iOS 12 is going to support every currently supported model, and they are saying (yeah, which is not the same thing as actually delivering) that it will run *better.*

I had a 10.5 Pro for a couple of weeks and ran it beside my Air 2. If you don't need Pencil support and can live without the Smart Connector for the ASK, I don't think there's a lot of reason to upgrade. For most Air 2 owners, maybe no reason at all other than New Hardware Lust (which is real, I get that completely).

--- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2018 ---
    I hope you're thinking of the Air. The Air 2 is still competitive with everything other than the IPP models, and in some respects better than successors other than the IPPs.