If not Congress, Obama should reject bill on concealed-weapon permits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 8, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-concealed-guns-20150308-story.html
    this will get interesting, hope it passes, I already have my permit .

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

2A vs. 10A issue. Not something anyone can just sign off on with a signature. SCOTUS would get involved. So it has to stay just as it is, as in their correlation, driver's licenses are a 10A issue. If southern states are up in arms (pun intended) about state sovereignty being ignored with same-sex marriage, they should be just as up in arms about this.

Good for the goose = good for the gander, unless they are okay with hypocrisy/double standards..

BL.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

southern states with double standards? say it is not so :p

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I generally side with the states on this issue, however I believe legal gun owners traveling through states with stricter laws should be immune of persecution/prosecution in the event of a traffic stop or questioning while getting a burger.

If I am merely passing through because this road I need to get from A-B happens to cross someplace like the DPRC, I shouldn't be targeted for harassment, arrest, and detainment for legal CCW.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

They could solve this by making all firearms laws federal that way there's never a question. It's silly that something legal in *pick a state* is illegal in *pick a state* it does nothing other than turn people into criminals. I'd apply the same to knives or anything else that could lead to jail time.

6. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I find it a little strange since I come from a very centralised country but isn't it the entire basis for the founding of the United States?

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

States rights?

Yes that is but when one thing is legal on place and a felony in another it needs to be dealt with somehow.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

States Rights, quite the little legal conundrum. Mostly it boils down to exceptions you want for yourself or pushing what you want on others.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Like marriage?

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Like gay marriage, like slavery in 1850, like Civil Rights in 1960.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so its par for the course.

we are not as "United" as we think we are.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It makes sense for state's to honor CCWs from others however, I don't want to see 50 different requirements for a CCQ, we need a single, national requirement which must include some training.

13. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

So if one state legalizes something like marijuana, then is should automatically be legal in all states?

Republicans are a bunch of inconsistent clowns. They'll argue in favor of states rights when it comes to things like gay marriage, abortion, slavery, segregation and control over voting procedures but when it comes to guns laws, they're suddenly against them.

I'm all for states rights as long as they don't allow the state to discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual preference.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we don't even have consistent "training" or requirements here in CA :eek:

my test was EASY , the requirements vary between counties. Riverside & L.A are a mess, the Sheriff's are being sued in both those counties along with a few northern counties.

----------

is MJ a "right"? don't think so, I don't have a single problem with it, the "War" on drugs is a complete joke.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's the problem, are we a country or 50 fiefdoms? This applies to any standard, marriage, education, alchohol. Five states have legalized marijuana, so do we want to have activities in some states without penalty but others that could land you in prison? When it comes to legalities such as these, it minimizes the State's rights argument imo.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Come on, get a clue! States rights are for privately held corporations, churches, rich people, cable companies, big money-- not for you. You must have been sleeping during high school civics.

17. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Let me guess, you must be one of those gun owners who touches themselves every time you read the Second Amendment.

First, I'm not sure why you're trying to change the argument of the article you posted. The senator's argument was that driver's licenses are recognized across state lines. I don't recall a driver's license being a right? Second, as is the case with most rights, there is no such thing as an unfettered right.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

let me guess, you are one of those who suffer from Hoplophobia :rolleyes:

it was a simple reply to your MJ comment.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, I am in fact a gun owner myself. I just don't think there should be no restrictions on guns whatsoever.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have no issues with SOME restrictions, say back ground checks, they make sense to me.

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, a background check really isn't a restriction but rather a requirement to own a gun.

Even if I supported carrying guns across state lines, it would be a challenge to implement because it assumes that each state has the exact same gun laws. Just because one state allows you to purchase a particular gun doesn't mean that same gun is legal in other states. Pushing for something like this would inevitably require that the federal government define the gun laws for all states which I'm pretty sure southern states like Texas would never support.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I believe Article 4, Section 1 requires this.

It just might, because of Article 4, Section 1, however, a national one could be passed, with the states laws lying underneath it, so each state would have to honour the other 49 AND the national one, with national taking priority first.

BL.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I have to do some thinking about this.

Reciprocity is important, however there are limits to this relationship. For instance, while you can use an out-of-state driver's license, once you establish residency in a state you are generally required to get an in-state license. Moreover, while adoption and marriages are recognized across states (we'll ignore the gay marriage debate for a minute), you can't practice law or medicine in a new state.

So, the question is, is CCW a skill or practice that must be licensed? Or, is it an inherent right that must be recognized by each state.

I tend to think that it's the former. The right to bear arms is protected, but CCW is a specific license with some variability between the states.

One question, is there really an issue about driving from A-B with your firearm between states? California requires the weapon be in a "locked container" but that syncs with federal law that requires the same thing for interstate transport.