if only my topcase is going to be fixed, why did applestore want my password? rights?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

I thought it was sketchy that the apple store wanted my password to my computer.

If they are only replacing the topcase so that the keyboard and trackpad will work, can't they just boot from an EHD and check it there?

Why do they need to look at my stuff?

Sounded sketchy - the guy took a break right after he finished with me and took my computer to the back.

And you sign away your rights at the end.

Will my personal material get copied and put on the net? And I have no rights to do anything about it if it did?

Thanks

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Why didn't you first remove all your personal and "sensitive" information from the machine prior to taking it in?

In any event, in order to return your machine to you in perfect working order they have to make sure everything is OK. Checking out the keyboard and trackpad when booting from the internal HDD is important.

Regards.

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Impractical

If this happens and you find it, then you should be happy because you will have HUGE settlement on your hands. Don't worry, the apple store employee is not interested in your stuff unless you're jessica alba or something. and if you are, do you want to get coffee sometime?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

They need the admin password so they can make software fixes if they turn out to be necessary. Much faster than finding out it is necessary and trying to contact the person to get the password.

Not to mention unless you encrypted your data they can access any data they want by booting the machine up into target disk mode.