If only Pebble had a heart rate monitor

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by twisted-pixel, Dec 9, 2014.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

this is pretty much the only reason I plan to get the apple watch.

I have a pebble which does everything I need it to do...almost.

I get notifications on my wrist and it tells the time. I have no desire to reply to messages or emails on my wrist. With the pebble I can read them and if I need to reply I get my phone out...simples.

but...I use Runkeeper on my phone and pebble displays the data on my wrist when I'm running. Sadly, 99% of HR monitors use Bluetooth LE and since only one connection is supported at any one time, you can't use the pebble AND a heart rate monitor at the same time.

so..with the iwatch having this function built in..seems like the tool for me

2. Fiestaman macrumors regular

I use my Pebble while using my Polar H7 at the same time daily. You can have multiple BT connections. I use iSmoothRun for running and it displays my running stats including HR no problem.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The apple watch will be slicker, do more, and be more reliable than Pebble. Pebble has been like a high school science project.

4. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

intresting...when I have my pebble connected I can't connect to my wahoo HR sensor. If I disconnect the pebble, HR sensor works fine

5. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Pebble is $94 at Sams Club....... Apple watch will be $350. You don't think the next gen Pebble will have a heart monitor?

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The Apple Watch is also $200 more, so it's expected.

The Pebble is perfect for someone who wants a little more interaction but doesn't need much. I would rather the Pebble than the Apple Watch. It's not worth spending $200 for features I don't really want or care about. Not to mention Pebble's 7 day battery > Apple Watch's 1 day.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

don't forget the pebble is waterproof too :)

8. firewood macrumors 604

The iPhone can connect to multiple BLE devices at the same time (I've connected to and collected data from up to 4 TI SensorTags at a time).

I've also used my Pebble with both the iSmoothRun iPhone app and the Wahoo HR sensor at the same time.

9. Fiestaman macrumors regular

My brother uses his Wahoo with iSmoothRun and Pebble all the time just like firewood does right above me. You might want to try removing all the devices from your phone and repairing them. I know that with my Polar H7, iSmoothRun recognizes it without me needing to pair it to my phone since it's BTLE. I just go into iSmoothRun and set it up there.

10. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

There are still some options. Take a look at this comparison. Some smartwatches do heart rate and notifications.

11. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

It is one of those things that you will surely miss as soon as you get used to it :)

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

And I seriously doubt the :apple:Watch screen will be as easy to read outdoors.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

While it may not be as easy I doubt it will be hard.