"If people start buying more durable things, companies will start making their products last longer"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Nov 1, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://time.com/money/4235586/products-with-lifetime-guarantee/

Seriously? Another supply-side entity always blaming the customer? The ones told to buy whatever with a smiling dance and jingle? For which customers have been increasingly strapped for cash so naturally they will gravitate to what they can afford at the given time despite increase after increase of "strong profits"? And, honestly, does it cost more to use a piece of metal for a pipe coupler than plastic? Or ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings? Assuming Americans know even the slightest amount of detail for those parts?? Is there proof that the higher priced item really costs that much more or is someone other than a customer trying to blame and play everyone as the problem when their gouging, fleecing, and promoting an ersatz appearance of "quality" closer TO a problem?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not if a $100 billion a year advertising industry has anything to say about it....

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I would pay $12.75 for a pair of socks if it wasn't for the damn laundry gnomes stealing only one and leaving me with mismatching socks.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

thats why you buy all the same color and sock type then it may be years till you know. this has saved my blind wife's sanity.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You need to set out more bear traps in your laundry room.

6. Herdfan macrumors 6502

If this isn't the truth:

Not 2 months ago our 9 year-old freezer in the garage died. Called Sears to send out the repair guy who charged $140 to tell us it would be $630 to fix it (compressor was going bad). So between his charge and the $630 I was looking at $770 to fix a 9 year-old freezer. He did give me a 10% off coupon for a new one, so for $740 we got a new one. It would have only been $600, but I added in his charge. Might just skip him the next time.

The point is no one fixes things anymore, they replace. Probably because you can buy a new one cheaper or about the same.