If reformat in future with up-to-date DVD, have to reinstall Tiger first?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chimerical, Oct 21, 2007.

1. chimerical macrumors regular

What I gather from all the various posts in the forum is that the up-to-date program gives users an upgrade DVD that requires a Tiger installation to either upgrade or clean-install to Leopard.

1.) Does that mean if I need to reformat my computer a year or two from now, I have to downgrade to Tiger and then upgrade back to Leopard?

2.) Do the Macs come with the retail version of the OS X DVDs? (ex. Tiger retail DVD, Leopard retail DVD). Or have they only ever come with restore DVDs?

Thanks!

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Wow I didn't even know they had this program. So how does it work, does Apple just send you a new OS X disc? How do you go about taking advantage of the program?

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Here :)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'll be a full installer disc.

No need for upgrade nonsense or verification.

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Yes, it's not an updater, it's a full install. You just have to be a very recent Mac purchaser to get one - there will be no retail version of Up to Date.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Oooh nevermind, I already knew about this. For some reason I thought it was something else. But yeah, how much is it to upgrade? Like $10? Maybe $20? Either way it's very much worth it.

7. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

when I got my first powerbook, it came with the panther drop-in. the panther disc required a previous version of OS X to be installed, but it did allow me to do an erase and install.

i dont know if things have changed since then. anyone know how the tiger drop-in worked?

8. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Well yes and no, however not for reasons already discussed. Although some of the reasons already discussed do have some validity to them. There were indeed "upgrade" disks in the past. HOwever Tiger was not like this so they may be a thing of the past.

However you still may have to reload your original restore disk first then Leopard. The Leopard disks will only have the OS. Your original restore disks will have all the bundled software (ie iLife and the such). So if you want your bundled software you need to do your restore disks first then Leopard.

Kevin :apple: