If Republicans want to win, they need to embrace the views of young voters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

There a many issues right now that the Republican party are just wrong on. Wrong in the sense that they are alienating young voters.

1) Gay marriage. Seriously, it is 2015. A lot of young voters out there believe everyone should have the right to marry who they love. Yet, there are candidates like Ted Cruz who are against it. He's alienating a lot of people.

2) Internet. Young people love their internet. I myself donate to EFF and Wikipedia and support a free and open internet. If they want to make it like TV where you have to a buy a "social media package" with twitter and facebook then they will not get our vote.

3) Obamacare. Hello!? Rand Paul, please wake up. You are promising to repeal it day one while at the SAME time are courting young voters...who NEED OBAMACARE!

4) Spying. Young people are tech savvy. They DO NOT want to believe that their devices are being spied on. Jeb, seriously, you're basing your platform on expanding the NSA. That's a joke right? :mad:

Feel free to add any other issues.

I've been doing my research, and I'm pretty much unhappy with everyone (YES INCLUDING HITLARY). I'm hoping someone comes out of left field that I like.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Good luck with that. With the exception of Rand Paul, the GOP has embraced Obama's policy of using the NSA to spy on Americans; Obamacare makes them psychotic; they're living in the 1950's on gay marriage. Not sure what you mean re: Internet.

The only thing the GOP has going for them is the relative youth of their candidates.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Obama supports and free and open internet. Which is great.

But Republicans want Comcast, Verizon, etc to be able to sell you "packages"

Like a social media package that costs $9.99/mo and includes Facebook, Twitter, etc

Or a News Package that costs $11.99/mo that includes CNN.com, NY times, etc

:mad:

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Link? I understand a cable TV package but I don't understand how Comcast, et al can sell internet packages. Isn't that what AOL did a hundred years ago?

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjOxNiHUsZw

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Thank God they read this forum. Who wouldn't take your advice?

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Are you a Republican?

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The GOP is idiotic when it comes to young voters now, but they have never been that good.

With the graying of America, and the well documented shift of once liberal baby boomers to the right (even if to a center position in most cases), there will be plenty of people supporting Ted Cruz. Other than alerting to the dangers of ISIS, I pretty much disagree with everything he says.

What scares me is that I see too many people who think Cruz is some sort of savior. In the end, Cruz will fall to some moderate like Bush or Christie in the republican race.

When I see ISIS as the most important foreign policy issue, I initially like that he challenges them, but then if you hear him talk about ISIS at length, he brings up that they can come to the USA via Mexico, but then the conversation becomes only about the "border" and "illegal aliens" taking our jobs.

Ted Cruz and his anti-Mexican stance is very scary and it's even worse that this hate talk is coming from a fellow Hispanic. He seems like yet another politician who thinks that because something is a Texas issue, he can rule the rest of the nation with that single thread. We already went down that path of idiocy which left us with the most unpopular US president in history in George W. Bush.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This will be a bitter pill to swallow for a huge segment of the party, but they need to abandon social issues if they want to survive. As for net neutrality, it's a done deal, I don't think it'll be an election issue.

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I saw a report a while back that the latest generation of voters is already trending back Republican. Then again things trended Democrat for so long that it will take a good while before they even get to parity.

11. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Religion is the problem

Religion. Yes, the entire real problem with the republican party is religion. Because all of the social issues derive from religious fanatics, who are the base of the republican party. Anti-abortion, anti-gay, etc. is driven by a religious agenda.

The trend in the U.S. and elsewhere is away from myths and superstitions. So as long as the republican party is the party of "religion", it will not appeal to young voters.

Moreover, the term "conservative", which includes the root "conserve", by definition means to maintain the status quo. However, change is inevitable. So to be conservative (republican) is to fight against change in general and to maintain the status quo. However, that is a losing battle as change is inevitable. See, e.g., civil rights, woman's rights, gay rights.

So all republicans due is delay the inevitable. A big waste of time and money.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The problem is that today's GOP power center is backed by big money and is invested in views incompatible with most younger voters. This will not change until they are no long encourages by a steady run of wins at the State level, and when the party crashes and burns or experiences a revolution and new management take over. Leadership like Boehner, McConnel, and other cringe worthy ideologs first have to retire or be ejected by a savvy electorate, which we seem to be in short supply of these days. Have a blessed day...

13. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Unless the above comments are just your opinion, I assume you have some research evidence to back them up that you would be willing to share. Thanks in advance.

14. caesarp, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

caesarp macrumors 6502a

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's actually the opposite. Religion, marriage and its related dogma go back centuries and only recently has it become an inconvenience for the abortion and gay agendas. Therefore, you see the rise of atheism, in part, to shove aside what's been working all these years in order that it's clearing satisfies the emerging agendas.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sure free and open, as long as open means for the NSA to spy on you.

----------

I think that argument works with most political parties. It's all about money.

17. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Please. We see atheism on the rise because people aren't generally scared frightened and illiterate peasants anymore, subject to the whims of the king and his religion. When people are allowed and given the ability to think for themselves, they don't necessarily pay attention to the myths and superstitions of their parents as handed down from the time of desert nomads in the Bronze Age. Or to put it another way, they are growing up and not remaining children believing in "Santa" anymore. The age of reason and the enlightenment are now being embraced as people shed the shackles of primitive beliefs, created when people thought the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth.

18. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

You've shown evidence that involvement in religion has been trending down, but you present no data showing the causal effect of this trend on attitude toward gays and other social issues and policy orientations.

19. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Why do you assume a causal effect? Maybe those attitudes you refer to are simply common sense. That is, it doesnt affect my life if bob and joe get married. So who gives a rats behind?

20. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Elections are won by getting your base out to vote. Compromising on core issues to draw in younger voters or independents is idiotic. Most people who find the Republican stance on Obamacare or gay marriage distasteful aren't going to vote for a Republican regardless of the candidate's position, and those who support those views (and make up the majority of the GOP base) definitely won't be motivated to get out of the house and vote for a candidate who opposes them.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Marriage is a union of one man and one woman, joined together in holy matrimony at half past midnight in Las Vegas by a drunken dude in a mustard-stained Elvis costume. It is such a wonderful institution that conservatives like Newt Gingrich and Rush Limbaugh have done it three times or more. How can we corrupt that sacred institution by welcoming gays?

/snark

22. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

You absolutely nailed it.

A lot of Republicans won't like that. But there needs to be a Republican candidate who realizes the same old backward thinking will NOT work.

How can you not accept the LGBT community in TWENTY FREAKING FIFTEEN?

There might be 2 hicks in Georgia that'll vote for you but that's about it.

23. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

why should they they can't accept birth control abortion climate change that the world is older then 6000 years or much of anything else that has been proven over and over.

24. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I don't. It seemed that you do based on what you said in your earlier posts, and I was just asking for your evidence of it.

25. dec. Suspended

dec.

I can imagine that someone who has been indocrinated with the "Christian" ideology would like to see it that way, but really, it's not just about abortion and gay "agendas", I think that in the age of internet, accessible education for everyone etc., "religions" are being questioned more and more. And that happens without any "agenda" at all, which must scare the crap out of certain groups :) .