If rumors are true, new MBP is SLOWER than MBA in everyday tasks.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shstiger2009, Feb 23, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

This is sad, it really is. For people who use the MBP for everyday things like me, ie. web browsing, Microsoft Office, music, some iPhoto or any basic applications, the MBA is faster. Some of you may say "well just get the MacBook Air..." but I like to have a processor that's faster because I occasionally do play games and other things and do need a faster processor than the air.

Anyway, having the PRO end of the MacBook be slower than the Air really is disappointing...

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

So then wait for the updated MacBook Air's or upgrade the HDD in the MBP to an SSD?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP is also cheaper, thus getting an SSD with the leftover money makes them about the same price (13" MBA with 4GB).

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Well these years there is a tradeoff because of the emergence of this new tech.

Highest speed/Low Capacity

Or

Slower speed/Highest Capacity

5. Dwee8le macrumors member

If we take the current prices and compare the base MBP 13” and the base MBA 13” then what you actually are saying that a E 1149,- laptop could be SLOWER then a E 1299,- laptop? I, for one, am shocked! :confused: (sorry, couldn't help myself :D)

You do realize the MBP doesn't have a SSD drive, right? And those things cost a lot. If they put in a 128GB SSD in the base model, it would no longer be for a base model price.

6. chiodo macrumors newbie

What makes you think the Air is faster than the new MBP?

Even the current MBP is superior to the MBA in every way. How brainwashed can you be?

The "new" MBA is old technology. The only thing that might make it seem faster is the SSD that is in it. If you put a SSD into a new MBP it will smoke the MBA.

7. zakk385 macrumors newbie

Well, a computer with a SSD will not make it seem faster, it much faster in booting, loading apps etc. A SSD does not really help when encoding and editing since those tasks are processor intense. Can´t argue with the fact that the new MBA is otherwise based on old technology.

I have changed the HDD to SSD in all 3 computers that I have used for the past year and couldn´t be happier with the overall speed even though the computers have had "only" C2D processors. One of them was a MBP...

8. chiodo macrumors newbie

He listed "everyday task". The biggest upgrade you can give any PC these days is a SSD. A SSD would greatly improve the performance of any computer.

I am just confused why someone would think a Macbook Air could out perform a Macbook pro?

9. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm talking about lack of an SSD. I know the MacBook Pro is more powerful, but as I said for everyday tasks having that SSD comes in handy. I was just stating that the base MBA 13" will be faster in everyday tasks than the base MBP 13".

Also, on the pricing. A base MBP would cost $1,549 with a 128GB SSD while an Air costs $1,299 with an SSD. Like I said, everyday tasks are going to be slower on the MBP vs MBA.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What are you talking about? The leaked specs were 2.3 GHz i5 for the low end 13" MBP...that's better than the MacBook Air.

11. Drago89 macrumors member

there'r SSDs in the 100-200$ price range which are probably faster than the ones in the air and with more capacity.And upgrading your hard disk isn't that hard at all.Problem solved :)

12. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I'm talking about everyday tasks that will rely on the HDD, or what should have been an SSD. SSD in Air vs HDD is MBP, SSD wins in everyday tasks.

13. chiodo macrumors newbie

Go to Newegg and buy a cheap SSD. Don't buy an overpriced SSD from Apple. Any SSD will outperform a platter HD.

Saying a MBA > MBP is kind of silly.

14. ElCidRo macrumors regular

Taking into account that the new 13" MBP will have the intel IGP - which is about 50% slower than the current IGP - yes the MBA will be faster in games than the next-gen 13" MBP. You can put a quad-core i7 in the MBP - it doesn't matter if the GPU and the HDD are the bottleneck.

Apple is lucky that most of its Mac fanbase are a bit ignorant about building a balanced PC without a bottleneck. They only care about the CPU and RAM :rolleyes:

15. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

But saying MBA > MBP in everyday tasks is true. ;)

But yes, I think I will sell my current MBP, get the new one, and put a nice new SSD in it and be reaaaaaally happy with it. :D

16. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Let me get this straight. So you're saying that computer A costs less and is slower than computer B?! Further, if you spend even more money you get computer C, which is even faster than computer B?! I'm SHOCKED! :eek::rolleyes:

17. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

yes your air will do some basic processes faster than a current pro with only a 5400rpm hard drive put in a 7200 and gap closes but put a ssd in the pro and it wins.

Most people that only surf the web and do minor tasks would be fine with a pro they used outdated chip architecture coupled with the flash ssd's and they are very quick however after tomorrow the edge will likely go back to the pro's.

here in the US the base pro starts at $1199 and base 13" air starts at $1299
    so the base pro is cheaper. The new pros will have better architecture and be even faster plus the pro provides flexibility to upgrade the HDD to an SSD down the road and upgrade the ram. the Air is stuck at your configuration you order it (excluding the ssd)

again though in no way is the air more powerful but anything that runs of the ssd or is not intensive the air will do very quickly. its a great machine but they are not for everyone.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's actually not. Saying SSD > HDD is true, but if you compare apples to apples (or Apples to Apples), this is true:

MBP with SSD > MBA. That's a fair and accurate comparison.

19. shstiger2009, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011

shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

This IS what I am saying, but your comparison is like apples to apples. Where as comparing the MBA and MBP is apples to oranges, so go find someone else to share your invalid comparisons with.

20. Monkey194545 macrumors member

The leaked specs may not even be for the current mbp replacement. I have a feeling those are the specs for the system that will replace the white macbook and at a lower price point. I think (hope) that the 13in mpb replacement will have at least a small ssd with osx on it and will have a smaller for factor (ie: liquid metal).

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah until you update the new mbp with 8gb of ram and ssd then the cheaper mbp is sway faster then the maxed out air.

22. fs454 macrumors 65816

Tell me, what exactly do you do?

I play Borderlands, Starcraft 2, Fallout New Vegas, Portal, HL2: Episode 2 and more on my 11" MBA with no issue at high settings, native res with some tweaks. The bottleneck surprisingly isn't the CPU.

I also edit 1080p Prores content in FCP and have no issues. The only lengthy process is the final export, for which i have my Mac Pro to move to, or to access via remote rendering.

23. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

I think the bottom line is no one will ever be completely happy with Mac, or any other company, unless they build a computer them self. The fact is, the real mac users use mac because it does what they want/need. If you realllly want a gaming computer, build a pc, or, if you really need a work computer, get an iMac or Mac Pro - both of which are very good at gaming too, with bootcamp. We will always be disappointed if we expect a dream macbook unless we dream for whats really realistic.

My 2 cents. :cool:

24. darkeartg macrumors regular

why would it be slower?? that thing has i5, that's sick.

25. parseckadet, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011

parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Ok, I'll play your stupid little game. The high end 15" is faster than the low end 17". The Mac Mini is faster than the 13" MBP. What's your point? If we want to take our apples to oranges comparison even further, my Subaru Outback is faster than every computer Apple sells.

Look, you're the one who threw out every single benefit that the 13" MBP has over the MBA based on some nebulous "everyday tasks" standard, which only included every day tasks performed by YOU. What about burning a DVD or connecting to an ethernet network? Those seem like pretty common "everyday tasks" to me. Which system is faster at that (without cheating by connecting peripherals)?

Also, don't complain when I generalize price tags when you're the one brought them into the conversation to begin with.