All iPads If selling my iPad 3rd gen for the next gen is NOW the time to do it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Sep 25, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I am thinking about eBaying my iPad hoping to fetch at least 200+ the question is when. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to do it now before the next gen releases?

I hope the wait isn't longer than a month. Do they usually just surprise release them online like the new iMac's or will there be an event?

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I'd try Craigslist if it was me, face to face cash only. eBay is getting so bad with charge backs from people saying they never got it, wasn't as described, damaged or so on so forth, especially on electronics.

As for release date, I think the rumor mill is saying an IPad event on October 15 and on sale the 22nd but that's not from Apple.

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I have *knocks on wood* had pretty good luck on eBay in all my years dealing with them 15+ years. I know the fees have been on an uphill not happy about that. Craigslist though while the money return would be better just don't like the thought of dealing with someone who might try to rob me even in a well known place "...let me have a look at it, then book it out the door".

Anyway sheesh didnt think it was that quick of a turnaround, i'd be stoked with a mid next month release. I think I'm going to put it up tonight. :D

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Good luck, post back on what you get if you don't mind, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm really hoping the Oct rumors are true.

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, I definitely will let you know. It ends Monday 3rd gen 32GB Black Wifi.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

In my opinion, now is a good time to move the iPad 3. It's a fine unit but the window to get a decent buck for it used is closing fairly soon. Once the 5th gen gets released the iPad 4 becomes the secondary unit to buy, not the 3. That will make prices go down on them so you'll get less for it. As another example, my iPad 2 has probably bottomed out in value and it's window for sale passed a while ago. Now, you're better off just keeping the older units and enjoying them until they literally die.

7. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Good points at least as of now the units like mine above are still fetching $350-380 not bad at all. I'm thinking now maybe I should have just 3-day it instead of 5 get it out of my hands ASAP.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

9. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, I'm not sure that you can block people with a negative or bad feedback rating but if they have unpaid items posted to their account you can.

10. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I've sold several phones on eBay and never had a problem. I always add insurance for the FULL amount AND signature confirmation. Those two things stop scammers as PayPal will see that they signed for it. If they claim it came broken, then the shipper gets involved due to the insurance claim.

11. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

yup always get insurance and signature confirm. I had issues with books on amazon that I wanted to save a 1 dollar on tracking and it bit me in the ass. The worst part is no one every gives you feedback any more. On amazon someone gave me a 4/5 and I paid an extra 5 bucks on shipping. Not to mention the fees for selling big ticket things. That is why I prefer craiglist for things like this. Random things in your closet it's best to go on ebay. Sold my old star wars toys for almost $2k as my GF is moving in. Ending up buying Spidey #1 for $3k :). At least I got rid of some clutter:D

12. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

I sold my iPad 2 today in anticipation of the 5.
    Really though you can sell an iPad for good money up to the release date.

The reality is that MOST people don't know about rumour sites and don't know when the new one is coming.

The guy who bought my iPad 2 paid a fair price for what it is but there is no way I would have bought it for that.
    Some people just don't know/care about buying/selling *at the right time*.

I sold it on Gumtree- the UK equivalent of Craigslist.
    Met the guy at the train station & did the transaction there.

13. tann macrumors 68000

Can I ask what model iPad 2 and how much did you sell it for? Also how long did it take to sell? I am thinking of gumtree but I'm scared i'll price myself too high, I'm not even sure how it works.

14. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

Sure thing.

64GB 3G.
    I advertised for £360.
    Got £345.

15. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I just sold my wife's White iPad 2 16bg on ebay for $265 on Monday. I'd get it out there soon before yahoo news starts reporting on their front page that new iPads are coming.

She gets my retina 3 for an upgrade, I hopefully get a retina mini next month.

16. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Don't tell me this I put it up for 5-days when I should have only three. Lol Arghh

17. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I only do 1-day auctions for apple devices. There are so many of them on ebay that they don't show up on the first 50 ending soonest until 4 hours before the auction ends.

18. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

It can help though for instance I'm at 19 watchers already and at $180 bucks including shipping in just overnight. I know all those watchers aren't going to bid or bid to the last minute but extra watchers, and more people willing to cash out never hurts. Especially if its in great condition as mine is had a body shield so its pristine.

19. tann macrumors 68000

Thanks a lot!

Woah that's an excellent price! I've been looking on eBay and my iPad 3 wifi 64gb would fetch around 250-300, so if I could get about 300-350 without any fees and in cash that would be amazing :O.

20. wmitch macrumors regular

wmitch

Really interested to see what yours brings. I'm planning to do the same thing and get the 5th Gen.
    I have the 3rd gen White 32gb wifi model with the gray Smart Case (not cover)
    Problem is mine was in a cheap case before and fell right out of it onto the tile. No damage to glass and can't see w/cover on but How much do you think this mark will detract in value?

Attached Files:

21. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Are you sure you weren't looking at 32GB listings? I have done research as that's what mine is and as long as your iPad is in good to great condition 32GB completed listings fetch for around $350 plus. If you have a 64 GB you should get much more.

22. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

Mine was absolutely mint and it came with a second charger & Cygnett Armour case.
    Gumtree is the way for me- no ebay fees and no chargebacks.

It did take 3 weeks to sell and I had a LOT of douchebags offering "£150, if you deliver it".

23. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I've sold 5 or 6 iPads on Craigslist, and its never been an issue. Its far better than eating the cost of the eBay listing and final value fee, paypal fee, shipping, and the possibility of getting hit with a bogus paypal claim is greater than being mugged.

If you're paranoid about it, than meet them during the day in the middle of a nice mall (lots of video surveillance and security) Not even the most desperate drug fiend would try to pull off a robbery in that situation.

Plus if you have iOS7 on it, you have the anti theft lockout feature.

24. tann macrumors 68000

oh wow, well from others comments and yours it seems amazing. I think I'll look into it when the time finally comes to sell!

I'm in the UK and was quoting it in £ lol, :)

25. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Sooner is better then later, always.