If someone gets SL working on the new MBP i'd buy one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lloyd709, Jun 12, 2012.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

Don't want to be part of 'Hypeware' Mountain Lion and still have apps running under Rosetta still. With USB 3 this would last 5 years (hopefully enough time for Apple to be a little humbled along the way)

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Guess no new Macs for you then because there is no chance that Snow leopard will have drivers for all the new hardware components. Lion or higher or burst.

3. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    No one is forcing you to upgrade man, just use yor current setup until it ceases to function, MacBooks last for more than 3 years. :)

4. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Already had my current MBP for 4 years. I know no one is forcing me to upgrade but as pictures get bigger out of camera I need more power to process them. But that's all I need - more processing power (not f!$%&? automatic uploads to facebook and the rest) which means I have to change the way I do everything else.

It really bugs me that computer companies invent **** just to force everyone to have to spend more money and change the way they do stuff when there was nothing wrong with the way they did stuff before!! Before I want apple about 8 years ago I used Windows 98 which did everything I needed an operating system to do (bar security!) (I went apple to be more in line with the rest of the photography world).

It's starting to dawn on me that the most of the fQ@£$% western world has got nothing f@£$%%$ better to f@!£$%@£$% do than f£$%@£ about with f £%$@£$ facebook!!

5. leman macrumors 604

Not possible. SL does not have the same resolution independence support as Lion. You should probably stop using 10 years old software and move on.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Then buy a refurbished Early-2011 model. All Early-2011 MBPs come with Snow Leopard (10.6.7 in my case) and support Lion and Mountain Lion Internet Recovery functions (firmware update necessary). The 2011 models are only a few percent slower than the 2012 models, regarding CPU benchmarks. They support also AirPlay, AES-NI (FileVault 2) and so on. Btw, you can ask Apple for a free 10.6.7 restore disk, if you buy Lion/Mountain Lion. This restore disk is necessary if you want to use Snow Leopard on the Early-2011 hardware. Refurbished models come with Lion.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sorry, I'm a bit confused

How does Lion force you to change the way you do things, and what does it have to do with Facebook?

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Lion does not support Rosetta.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ah, that makes sense, if the OP is dependent on older software I suppose
    Not that it necessarily forces you to change the way you do things, just the tool you use to do it
    I know I made a few minor tweaks to the software I used coming from Rosetta myself

But that still doesn't explain the Facebook references :confused:

10. grrrz macrumors member

it's simply not possible, except through the hackintosh commmunity;
    there won't be any drivers for the new graphics and certainly not the hidpi option for the retina.
    Late 2011 work fine with SL (thank god).

11. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

To the OP you could always use VM or Parallels for SL.

12. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

Unusual for me, but I'm going to be a bit harsh

Not usual for me, but I have to abandon courteous words & have to be clear:
    if you are asking the OP how Lion changes the way you do things; you should not even be on this forum, let alone this thread. I am not being sarcastic or caustic at all; you should first do some serious study on the subject.

There are tons of info on the web, it is not only impolite to expect to get a multi-page answer here, this thread is not the place.

Lion has seriously affected workflows in so many areas, my productivity as a professional photographer will take a nose-dive in so many ways if I abandon SL;
    & no I do not need Rosetta, Rosetta is not the issue at all.

Seriously: do a google & some serious study; it is a serious issues for so many power users.

13. avalys macrumors 6502

Why should someone have to do "serious study"? Your workflow problems are exactly that - your problems. If you want anyone to care about them, being a jerk isn't going to help.

14. HBP macrumors member

You can put snow leopard on a Late 2011 MBP as well. Probably the last MBP model to support it.

15. ElfinHilon macrumors newbie

Why does everyone always hate Lion and absolutely LOVE SL?

SL was great and all, but Lion is one of the best OS's of ALL TIME!!

Yeah.. Ok.. Anyway.

Seriously though. Why all the love for SL and not Lion?

16. lloyd709, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012

lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

To everyone that has mentioned that I could run SL on an early 2011 MBP or run SL as a virtual computer under Lion.

I've considered these options but I really want USB 3 which the 2011 MBP hasn't got. I probably will go down the road of running SL in a virtual machine but I just know even doing this is likely to take a chunk of time and have a set of problems and compromises in some way shape or form. I can't believe it would have been hard for apple to have kept Rosetta.

17. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

lloyd: does your mbp have a ssd? if not you would notice a big difference in overall speed...the intel 520 is a very good choice...

i just switch over my macbook 2007 to a 60 gig OCZ agility 3 and it's difference is unreal...boot time is now under 20 sec's...my geekbench score went from 1800 to over 3000...apps (running snow leopard) load in under one sec (ff,safari,itunes ect ect)...your macbook pro would feel brand new and give you years more great use!

18. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Has it been confirmed that SL will support USB 3 yet?

19. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I understand your position, and had exactly the same thoughts before upgrading to Lion 3 months ago (been running SL since the day it came out, upgraded from Leopard).

It's always a good idea to wait a little to upgrade, so all software and bugs are removed, so the upgrade is as smooth as it can be. Especially my music production DAW etc. had to be upgraded to run at all on Lion.

I was a little sceptical before upgrading, but on my mid-2011 iMac, it actually became faster than with SL, and I'm actually quite happy with Lion right now, you just have to get used to it.

20. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Oh god are people still stuck in 90ies? What apps are you guys still running that need rosetta for.

Seriously its time to move on. Cause this year you already look at the facts. Next its going to be the same. It means you will never be able to buy another notebook from apple ever again. Not now and not over 20 years. You'll be stuck with that 2011 notebook in 2030. So just get over it. The sooner you make the transition the better its going to be. Just let it go

21. lloyd709, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks and I totally agree. Just to show off, I've got a 240 Vertex 2 SSD drive as my main boot drive and the optical drive converted with a 512 Corsar (I think) M4 SSD in it. It also has 6 gigs of memory (using a special 4 Gig chip I got from the US a while ago and has a Geekbenck of 3377! It's a great machine but I'm about to start working between London and Spain a lot and would like to upgrade to a single powerful laptop to do everything as I currently do all my image processing on a Mac Pro (with SL!). As powerful as my laptop is it's not really up to handling my RAW image workflow.

To answer someone else about what applications I still use that require Rosetta. I use Flash 8 and Office 2004. An small but important and very nice element of my website uses flash which I developed myself with Flash 8. I don't want to spend £600 on a newer version of Flash just to maintain this. Also, and more importantly, I've got a great business system built around Applescript linking Office 2004, MySQL, and Filemaker. It works beautifully and I just know it would fall apart if I went Lion and a new version of Office!

In response to the 'just move on guys', I think it's very justifiable to presume Apple computers are serious work computers and as such Apple should have respect for legacy systems as other good professional software and hardware vendors do. It's just not feasible for organisations to rip their business systems apart just because apple want's to upgrade it's operating system (to something that makes Facebook work really cool!). Unless, that is, that Apple no longer respect their professional market (the market that supported them right up to their luck with the iPod!).

As an extreem example of the value of legacy systems, a friend of mine who works as the head of performance analysis for one of the main rail companies in the UK (don't laugh) was telling me last night that all the data he uses on train performance across the UK is still collected using a DOS based system which works perfectly and they have no foreseeable need to upgrade it - I expect he would though if it would benefit from USB 3!! (that last bit (about the USB 3) was a joke by the way!)

22. g8rduc macrumors newbie

g8rduc

You must still be using Pagemaker and Photoshop 2.0...and sending emails to Adobe (while addressing it as Aldus) and complaining about their lack of legacy support. Things move on, if you choose not to move on with it, than that's your problem. Don't expect a company to keep investing in it when it's a no win situation for them. They're in business to make money and that's what they're doing.

23. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup - that's right!

24. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for the laugh this morning :)

25. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

You're welcome; people who only quote others have nothing to contribute :D

Now let the grown ups discuss the serious issues, dude ;)

----------

Please do not project your bad manners onto me or others by not even bothering to read the post in context, much less doing the necessary research before banging at your keyboard.

Have a nice day:D