Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whick Keyboard would you prefer??

• Total voters

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
IF the Aluminum Macbook comes out, what keyboard do you want - the backlit style keyboard of the MBA or the Classic style keyboard of the MBP (also backlit)

BIG NOTE: before you vote, please note that this is assuming that BOTH keyboards match the case color (not like the current MBA) - this is only an issue about the chicklet vs classic keys (i also assume that both are backlit!!!)

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
i would like the MBA keyboard (but with silver keys - so that they match the macbook - one reason im going with this laptop is because, aside from the mobility, the keyboard is simply awesome - and i would love to see an aluminum version (i didnt like how the keys were made black in the MBA - they should have been silver to match the casing.)

but now i want to hear your opinions!!!

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I voted for MBP keyboard. It's very close to the keyboard on my laptop (HP Pavillion), which I love. I've used the MB keyboard a few times and until I get used to it (which should be soon; iMac coming soon) I prefer the MBP style.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
MBA keys definitely. That thing looks sweet, and every time I've used an air I never had any problems with the keyboard feel or any of that. It looks great and for me, feels great to.

MacBook08

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
California
MBA Keys for sure!!

I love the MacBook Air keyboard. I've never used it before but I do own an apple wireless aluminum keyboard (which is very similar) and it feels so good. I can't wait til the new macbook comes out!! I'll finally be able to stop using my mom's pc!!!:D

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
Can't really give an informed opinion--I've been using and loving my PB 12" keyboard for the past 4 years. I've heard from others that the chicklet KB is very nice once you get used to it. But I agree with the other poster about not wanting the keys in a contrasting color with the rest of the 'book.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Can't really give an informed opinion--I've been using and loving my PB 12" keyboard for the past 4 years. I've heard from others that the chicklet KB is very nice once you get used to it. But I agree with the other poster about not wanting the keys in a contrasting color with the rest of the 'book.

Yes, i am hoping that they actually do NOT make the keys contrasting to the case color - if the case is a silver aluminum for the current "white MB" then i would like matching keys - but in the chicklet design AND with a backlihgt.

For the black macbook - i dont know how they will do it - but IF they use BLACK aluminum, i would like for them to have Black Aluminum keys to match IT...

i 100% agree with you on this - that's the only reason i didnt go for an MBA - they keyboard just doesnt match.

(i travel a LOT and need a good laptop soon, as me decripit toshiba harprtown notebook is about to die.) - i dont want the MBA - not powerful enough for what i do and thers a lack of HD space - i am waiting for the updated MB to come out with the aluminum casing, - it is compact, light, and still decently powerful. also, 250GB is a good bit of space :D

so that's why i put out this poll, i really liked the current chicklet keys - and i dont want them to go away! [as long as they dont clash with the casing color]

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
MBA keys definitely. That thing looks sweet, and every time I've used an air I never had any problems with the keyboard feel or any of that. It looks great and for me, feels great to.
i just didnt like how the color clashed, but other than that it's simply AWESOME, AWE INSPIRING, and if there ever was a HOLY KEYBOARD - the MBA KEYBOARD would be IT!

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
also, i believe that as long as you dont spill liquid on them, chicklet keyboards are VERY easy to clean :D

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I'm going to have to disagree with some posters, I want contrasting keys. Not black keys though. White ones!
White and aluminum would be a sweet deal!
I love my MB keyboard its the best I've typed on, bar the new imac keyboards.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
MBA Keyboard > MBP kb (for me anyway) so I hope they change it - and they probably will.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I'm going to have to disagree with some posters, I want contrasting keys. Not black keys though. White ones!
White and aluminum would be a sweet deal!
I love my MB keyboard its the best I've typed on, bar the new imac keyboards.

White and aluminum? I'm not too sure how well that would go over, if Apple ever decided to do that.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
White and aluminum? I'm not too sure how well that would go over, if Apple ever decided to do that.

I think it would look sexy! :D
Plus it'd be a subtle way of separating the pro models from the consumer ones if you get me
I saw a mock up on a thread on here a while ago it looked tasty

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I don't think the new macbooks' keys will be backlit. How is apple going to distinguish the product lines then? lack of dedicated GPU, color?

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Plus it'd be a subtle way of separating the pro models from the consumer ones if you get me

Do you have a picture to post? I love looking at mockups.

I don't think the new macbooks' keys will be backlit. How is apple going to distinguish the product lines then? lack of dedicated GPU, color?

I really don't think it is necessary for the pro models to be distinguished from the consumer models by the looks. Anyone who's buying a laptop should do research about what they're buying, and that's how people will tell the difference; by doing research.

Sorry if I came across as a bit of a jerk, I didn't mean to.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Do you have a picture to post? I love looking at mockups.

1463404723_71c5ba5d37_o.png

I think this would be amazing on the new MB

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
A black keyboard would go much better with the black bezel I think. It would be more uniform, like Apple tends to make its products.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I like both, so I'd have to say the MB gets the current keyboard, maybe an extra option for backlit (like $50 more or something). And the MBP should keep the old keyboard, I just like the feel of it (its more "pro-ish") compared to the cheap white plastic keys of the MB.

To the post with the mockup, I'd have to say the color scheme looks disgusting. the bezel is black, the keys are white and the case is silvery. bad color scheme, although design looks awesome.

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
A black keyboard would go much better with the black bezel I think. It would be more uniform, like Apple tends to make its products.

A valid point but why does the slim alu keyboard have white keys then?
Maybe to match the Mighty Mouse?

JoeDRC

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I like both, so I'd have to say the MB gets the current keyboard, maybe an extra option for backlit (like $50 more or something). And the MBP should keep the old keyboard, I just like the feel of it (its more "pro-ish") compared to the cheap white plastic keys of the MB.

To the post with the mockup, I'd have to say the color scheme looks disgusting. the bezel is black, the keys are white and the case is silvery. bad color scheme, although design looks awesome.

Its not my poor photoshopping :D

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008

put it this way - right now the MBP keyboard is completely different from the MB keyboard - if they just keep the MB keyboard, put a backlight, and add aluminum, it would be GREAT - that's what i meant when i said "like the MBA keyboard"

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The MBA..... I fully agree with SJ when he said its the BEST keyboard they've ever shipped!

Black please! Having to 'rub' my white MB and its keyboard with an eraser is very very tough!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.