If the announcement is tomorrow, when will the new Touch be available for purchase?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cubby, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Cubby macrumors newbie

I'm a total newbie to this so please be gentle. How long does it typically take after this type of annoncement until you can actually get one in hand?

Thanks!

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

When there is new software, often it is available for download right after the announcement. With new hardware, and Apple's desire to keep everything secret, most retailers won't have any to sell right away. Pre-orders from Apple's warehouse may go out right away though.

We won't know for sure until tomorrow, though.

3. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

The iPods have generally been available for order immediately and shipped out shortly. Not sure what they had in stores, though.

4. NorthLane macrumors newbie

I would assume the same as most. But seeing as the Back-To-School sale ends on the 15th, I don't see anyone receiving a new version before then. But like everyone said, it will probably go on sale as soon as Jobs says the word.

5. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

you can get it right away as steve jobs reveils it, because the apple store updates almost instantaniously while he reveils it. It'll ship within a day, and youll be able to get it right away. stores wont have it right away because nobody except certain apple employees know about whats coming out, they know as much as we do. stores should have the products within a week, although i would (and am :D) buying the new ipods right off the apple website, since theres no shipping costs with an ipod purchase.

6. WordLife565 macrumors regular

it will be available online for pre-order almost immediately.

7. 184550 Guest

I go to university in the Fairfax, VA area and I was able to go to a local Best Buy and get mine 8 days after the annoucement.

8. azcardsfan macrumors member

Should I order the iPod touch tomorrow (what time?) at the apple store online or wait for it to come out at Target and get a 10% employee discount. How long would I have to wait for Target to get it?

9. 184550 Guest

Apple stores will of course have them first (earlier). If I were you, I would wait and buy at Target to get your discount. However, if the 10% isnt a big deal, call around to Apple, Best Buy, etc... and see if they have any in.

10. azcardsfan macrumors member

Would it be better just to preorder it online tomorrow or wait a few days and start calling around Best Buy, Apple Store, etc?

11. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

all the apple stores (should) have all the new ipod models there, as they are usually sent the night before theyre revealed. but all the other stores will not get any until about a week or so after the new ipods are reveiled. i would go online and order one right away instead of waiting a couple of days because the price will be almost exactly the same (within about 10 or 20 dollars at most, if any difference), and that way you get it right away (shipping is usually within 24 hours). theres no point in waiting as far as im concerned for the ipods to come into stores like best buy if you can get them earlier online from the apple website without paying more. its only worth it if you have some sort of discounts from a certain store. i know im definantly buying the ipod touch the moment it comes out on the apple website

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Actually, that's not even close to true.

For this event at least, Apple stores will NOT have the iPods on the day of launch. #1 reason why? No employees have reported seeing sealed boxes with "do not open until September 9th" messages on them.

They will also not be immediately available online. It will most likely take a couple of weeks to ship online, as it has in the past.

13. RebeccaM85 macrumors newbie

The Apple online store is offline at the moment, so perhaps they're updating it with new products!

*excitement*

14. kahine macrumors regular

Not available immediately online ? They almost always are - don't know what you are talking about there - I bet you will be able to order them today - it's almost always available the day of online to order

15. ajenda macrumors newbie

DITTO:D

16. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

actually, its very true. USUALLY (which is what i said in my post as well) they come the night before. im sorry if i didnt search it up for thousands of hours for the past month before this event, to find out ALL the information, as it sure looks you did. and actually, the ipods WERE available to buy online INSTANTANIOUSLY on the apple.com website after steve jobs annouced it and a couple hours later on the apple.ca website. want proof? i bought one the day of....... and the apple website is saying that im going to get it no later than wednesday of next week, which is still going to be sooner than any store, and NOT "a couple of weeks to ship online". more like one week, at most.

i will admit that i was wrong in the part where i said shipping was usually within 24 hours, but that was prior to buying one myself, and the apple.com website said that shipping was within 24 hours. im guessing the shipping time on the new ipod touch that i bought is going to take that week of shipping partly because it just came out and theres lots of orders coming in, plus i got the engraving on it, which would have extended the shipping period. still, its not "a couple of weeks to ship online". sorry beric.

17. crunchiespg macrumors member

well i ordered mine from apple.ca at 11am yesterday the 9th. it was shipped within 10 hours.. and fedex says it will be here tomorrow or friday...

so you are wrong...

18. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

actually, now they've updated the time of arrival once again..... now fed-ex is telling me ill get it on monday..... so not even a week, and it would have been saturday had they shipped things on weekends

19. bright one macrumors newbie

went to the apple store in chicago wednesday and an employee there didn't know when the new touches would be in store. he said 'soon.'

though i will buy mine through the apple website [no tax and no shipping plus a small discount thru my employer] i still would like to take one for a short test-drive at the store first. i just don't like to spend $300 or so for something unseen in person.