If the build quality of the iPhone is so amazing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Then why does every iPhone I see have a case? ( and I see alot of damaged iPhones too )

On my old phone I never used a case and it's in mint condition still ( it has dropped on the street a couple of times too )

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, those cases really make those iPhones look ugly. The only cases that look good are those "invisible" ones from what I have seen.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

build quality ≠ drop resistance

but I agree with you that most cases are ugly. I only have a case because I genuinely like how it looks...it has a back cover that is made out of a real vinyl record, which I find very cool

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Because then you wouldn't be able to make this semi trolling thread related to using a case on the iPhone.

Don't worry about what others do with their iPhone, worry about your own. Don't like a case on your i, don't put a case on your i but don't worry about those that do.

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Never use a case, never broke an iPhone. Dropped several times. Next.

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You know what the difference between Apple owners and PC/Android-based phone owners are? People that buy Apple take care of their products. That is why the resale value is so high. Well, that and Apple makes the best products and supports them for years. You think I would pay $300-$400 for a 2 year old Android phone? LOL I don't care if it is in mint condition.

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Your opinion. I love the paramilitary look of my Defender case.

If you don't, get one and carry it caseless.

BTW, build quality and durability aren't really the same thing.

9. anirudh macrumors 6502

I am sure it is, but then, I am also sure it didn't look as good as the iPhone to start with :)

Most of the cases out there are more geared towards adding something extra aesthetically to the phone. Its like everyone has an iPhone, you could use a case you like to provide some uniqueness. The added protection is a bonus (not speaking about cases like Otterbox here which could withstand being run over by a tank :p)

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Like already said its a matter of choice.

I have a rocket fish bumper to add a little grip and stop the death grip on my iPhone 4.

I also have a SGP carbon fibre back because I like the look and feel of it.

I've seen smashed handsets too however they all don't smash in impact. I work in a warehouse with a solid concrete floor on which I dropped mine at about 4 feet. It did not have a bumper on which resulted in a slight scrape on the bottom left hand bottom edge if the glass.

11. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol... I don't care if your last phone was made of tungsten carbide, if you dropped it on the street, it's not in "mint condition."

Whoever called this being a troll thread was right!

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why do you care that everyone else uses a case?

13. penfan82 macrumors regular

I've used cases on all my phones from dumb phones to android to now my iPhone also have cases on all my iPods and iPad just feel more secure with one has nothing to do with build

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you think the case makes the phone look ugly, get a slip case. It will protect from scratches, with a minor bit of drop protection. Then you can use the phone naked.

And, as has been pointed out above, it is glass. If you don't like the risks associated with glass - don't get a glass phone.:rolleyes: :D

15. gco212 macrumors 6502

I'm young (23), but find that case cool as hell. Just for the record.

My phone has been uninsured and unencased for its life. I can afford to pay 300 if I break it (I hope I don't, or I hope I can convince some employee he broke it).

I love the "naked" look.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Like almost anything, you drop it, then it will get damaged. That has nothing to do with how well its assembled.

The components used, like glass have properties like brittleness that cause cracks/breakage when dropped.

17. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

From my experience I wouldn't say the iPhone has amazing build quality, but the opposite. I have owned a 3G, 4 and 4S and between these have had to get at least 4 replacements from apple store. Have never had to have any other mobile phone replaced

18. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

A $90,000 aluminum-bodied Audi A8 can have exquisite build quality, but still get the **** dinged out of it by the lump some ****** parks next to it.

At this point, the Apple bumper I got free has fallen apart, so I just run naked. Que sera, sera.

19. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Most works of art are very fragile. If I was carrying the Mona Lisa around with me everyday it would have case on it as all. Ur "old" phone is clearly not a work of art, and therefore doesn't need a case.

20. Swandog macrumors newbie

It's a pretty phone that looks best with no finger prints; all shiny and glossy but once I touch it, it becomes a tool and needs a case the places I go and things I do. And, I like the looks of my hardy black case; but I'm a guy.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Build quality has to do with how long the phone will last in regular use situations. Drops, throwing it in your pocket with yoir keys, spilling your kid's cheerios and milk, etc. may be considered regular wear and tear to some users, but it definitely isn't to Apple (or any other company for that matter). This is where cases and screen protectors come in.

Think of it in terms of automobiles. Build quality of a car means it will keep running 'forever'. It does NOT mean that if you smash it into a wall you shouldn't expect it to crumple. :)

----------

Did you just compare the iPhone to the Mona Lisa? I just can't take you seriously...

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a case for mine because I feel it is too slippery without one. I use the black Apple bumper for my iPhone.

That is your opinion. Obviously they wouldn't sell so well if everyone agreed.

23. libertysat macrumors regular

Build quality?

My work gets me in some awkward situations from time to time

Twice in less than a month I had my phone fall off my tool belt and sail down about 12 feet one time and around 10' straight down to concrete
    (in an Otterbox)

Survived both drops
    Don't know what the G-force of such a hit generates but Apple did the iPhone4 right as far as I am concerned...

24. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I disagree. Durability is a part of build quality, that's why companies tend to use some sort of fortified glass (typically gorilla glass), because durability is a part of build quality. I'm sorry but if a phone is fragile then it lacks in the durability part of build quality. I think people get caught up in the materials used in the iPhone and by default say it's great build quality. I disagree. The phone is too fragile (breaking glass, aluminum getting scratched, etc) and then there are the issues with the home button. I'm not saying the build quality is poor, but I definitely don't think it's top tier.

You really think iphone owners really take care of their phones any better than anyone else? Get real. The resale value is what it is because of how the iphone releases are. It's going to be the newest phone with iOS on it for at least a year. It's simple supply and demand. BTW a 2 year old iphone does not fetch $300-$400. The 4S sells for between $400-$450 right now and the 4 sells from $250-$300. I buy and sell iphones all the time and I can tell you that 2 year old iphones (3gs) is not going to sell anywhere near $300-$400.

25. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Exactly. I hate explaining this to people.