If the Iphone 3.0 and Palm Pre are released in the summer...(thoughts)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PsyD4Me, Mar 25, 2009.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

So after listening to Howard Stern for the past few weeks it seem like he's been debating on purchasing a new smart phone. Today he stated that he will be getting a private preview of a Palm Pre demo. He was also told by palm people that it will be released in June. I don't know the accuracy of this, but it makes sense on Palm's side.
    If this is the case, how important do you think it is for Iphone 3.0 to be out on the market first?
    Or do they follow Pre?

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I think strategically, it would be nice for the iPhone to come before the Pre.
    This way, some switchers might go to the iPhone.

3. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I agree, now we just have to see if it happens. Both companies are going to try and get their horses out of the gate first, but neither has announced when they are going to release them yet.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

My guess is if there is a new iPhone it will come out in May. Just my two bits. :)

5. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is a matter of "if" it's a matter of when. I look for the same time line as last year.

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

The only reason I somewhat agree with May is the "confirmed" fact that China Unicom will carry iPhone starting May 17.

Ireland started selling the iPhone on 14 March 2008 (only 3 months before the 3G was released), but it seems odd to have a big release in China and then less than 2 months later release a new phone. It could kill the iPhone release in China if people are expecting a new model and don't rush out to buy the 3G.

But, I suspect the actual release will be closer to last years iPhone 3G date (July). All guesses, of course.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah that was my basis as well... :)

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

My guess is that Howard Stern has a huge audience and Palm wants an audience for their new phone.

The pre has a lot of potential given its hardware, but we have to see more demos and reviews to really know what its all about.

9. slapppy macrumors 65816

Hasn't it been confirmed that the Pre will support full Flash content? If thats true, Palm Pre advertising comparing iPhone web browsing vs Pre will show the Pre as a better device for web browsing.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Yes, but we don't know when. We know they are working on it, but that's the same song and dance apple gives us.