If the iPhone 5 comes to Sprint & T-Mobile, will ATT & Verizon revive unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmx, Aug 12, 2011.

1. dmx macrumors 6502

So, something I just thought of. The iPhone 5 has been rumored to be coming to all four major US carriers. With T-Mobile and Sprint currently offering "unlimited" (although throttled) data, do you think Verizon and AT&T will temporarily revive their unlimited plans to compete with T-Mobile and Verizon?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Actually the reverse is more likely. Sprint and T-Mobile, when faced with data-heavy iPhone users, will most likely drop their unlimited plans.

3. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

No, because it's not a big deal. I have not once gone over my data limit.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

T-Mobile = AT&T. Sprint is not a big threat to either of the big two, hell, Sprint phones have to roam on Verizon all the time.

5. jaytv111 macrumors regular

At&t wants to buy T-mobile anyway. Sprint doesn't have unlimited data on 3G (and fat chance getting a WiMax iPhone).

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Already as it is Tmobile has plans that after a certain amount of data usage you get throttled.
    I doubt they will go back to unlimited if they get the iphone.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Unlimited is gone forever. Period. End of story.

With data rising tremendously daily...the ISP's see more and more and more chances of more money in their pockets.

AT&T and Verizon understand that MOST of them won't hit their caps right now but some already do and more will eventually...and with some people, they are at the highest cap rate

I would be willing to bet that neither AT&T nor Verizon raise their caps anywhere close to the growth in data.

Both companies prefer users hitting the cap and the more, the better.

Because, what is the user going to do? If he switches over to another iPhone company, he will have caps there too.

Both companies did a fantastic job screwing consumers

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

this is what I see.

the more I think about it the more and more I think about dropping my iPhone. Using a phone that doesn't require data and just picking up a touch.

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I agree with this.

OR

AT&T and Verizon will keep them and then market their superior coverage as an excuse.

10. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I think unlimited data is gone... for a while... but not forever. Look at text messaging, and now they're cheap or unlimited with many carriers, some are moving to unlimited call minutes, etc. Give it maybe 3-5 years and everyone will be back to unlimited data.

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Maybe not back to unlimited but more then likely they would up current plans like the 2gb plan would turn into a 4 or 5gb plan and so on.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I don't think they'll bring them back. Like another poster said, the new carriers of the iPhone will most likely drop theirs when they experience things like increased tethering and people who abuse the priviledge.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I don't know if I agree with that. I think unlimited is going away for good. The potential is too great now.

With Netflix, YouTube, etc.. It's too many ways to use tons of bandwidth without even going against the TOS.