IF the iPhone 5 doesn't mean the standards of other smart phones...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBryton, Mar 22, 2011.

?

Will you consider changing phones?

1. Yes, been thinking (considering/already considering)

25.5%
  2. No, I will be purchasing the new iPhone

62.5%
  3. I'm not sure but it needs to specify my needs.

18.8%
  1. iBryton, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

iBryton macrumors regular

I have been considering the new Android phones being released, because iPhone 4 is falling behind?
    (Samsung Infuse 4G, I like how it has a 4.5" screen, 4G, shooting 1080p video)

I don't know much more information about the phone, but the real poll question is that...
    Are you considering to switch to a different phone on your carrier if the new iPhone "5" does not really "amaze" you, or compare well to the competition.

What are some of your iPhone 5 necessities?
    (down below)

Written answers below are greatly appreciated.

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

iphone may not have the best specs, but it has the best overall mobile experience. Im sticking with iPhone.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

The only thing I'm comparing the iPhone 5 to is the iPhone 4. I like the iPhone, I like the apps I have no reason to switch to a whole other operating system just based on specs. A 4.5" screen is just way to big for a phone. A 4" screen might be good but bigger then that is just to big.

4. Pmoser macrumors member

I think that if apple does not make a design change meaning bigger screen they will lose more and more customers. UI can only go far

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yeah I agree. It needs a 4" screen like theres no tomorrow.

6. Pmoser macrumors member

a 3.7 or 4 inch screen is perfect 4.3 is to big for me personally

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I like the current screen. If they go to 3.7/4 I'll be alright with it. Bigger than 4 and it's just to big. Even with a bigger screen I don't want the phone to get any bigger. It's the perfect size as it is.

8. Pmoser macrumors member

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

If they don't overhaul notifications in iOS 5, I will start considering alternatives. I'd love a 4" screen but that isn't a deal-breaker for me.

10. Pmoser macrumors member

Droid notification system is excellent they stay out of the way but you notice them still. Most likely it wont change

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Completely agree, iOS 5 (including a proper notification system) + 4" Screen with all the amazing specs = best iPhone yet.

I would say that the iPhone 5 would be the "biggest jump" since the original.

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Do you have some inside info that you would like to share, or are you just trolling?

13. Pmoser macrumors member

yeah i do but i dont want the swat team coming

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you like a 4.5 inch screen, 4G, and shooting 1080p video, then you should get a phone that has that.

No, I won't be switching because I value the App Store and having an iPod in my device.

15. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I will be upgrading to the IP5 and retiring my original IP, regardless of the specs. The rest of my household has been upgrading throughout the pass 4 years. Dad is the frugal one. :eek:

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

That's what I thought...Just trolling.:rolleyes:

17. Pmoser macrumors member

life wouldnt be the same with out us ehh

18. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I've been thinking. I've had iPhone (2g,3gs,4) and it's the best device yet in my life. I have all my apps from my family on my device, I have my iPod, I use MACS for crying out loud! But these other devices are tempting me. The iPhone is built like a luxury phone, rather than other comparisons, you get good warranty and the genius bar!

Honestly, check out my signature, how more apple products could I get!

19. rman726 macrumors 6502

I've thought about switching to Android, as I can currently early upgrade. However, I've looked at the phones, and they all wow me with their specs and how they look, but they simply don't have the app ecosystem. The Atrix looks sweet with the laptop dock, but I just don't like the Android market app support. There are so many random games that I like to play in my spare time that simply don't exist on the Android platform. For example, Settlers of Catan is definitely my favorite app to pass time, and they've been "in development" for like a year now for Android. Almost every other big game seems to come to iPhone first as well, and once it becomes popular, it gets brought over to Android. Plus, the iPhone is just so user-friendly. People hate that it's "simplistic," but I love that. It's a phone and not a computer. It does what it is supposed to do, and does it well.

Is a larger screen nice? Is an SD card nice? Is not buying a $40 HDMI dock nice? Sure, it's all nice, but the app environment is #1 in my book, and Android, WP7 and WebOS aren't even close, no matter how much Android users try and convince themselves that it is. Maybe I'll change my mind in a year with more developers jumping onto the Android platform, but it's not even close yet.

Plus a lot of the software differences are available if you jailbreak your phone. I know some people don't like to, but there really is so much you can do with a jailbroken phone. You can get much better notification systems in Cydia, get all the widgets you want, get an android lock screen, free wifi hotspot, true multitasking (if that is what you prefer... I like the way iOS does it as it conserves battery life better), different themes, and a lot more.

20. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed.

Or you can get an Android + iPod touch, problem solved.

21. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

To me, at the first iPhone was to put my iPod and a phone together into one.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have a fair amount of money invested in to apps that have made my life a little easier. And I think that iOS, while it is still lacking in some areas, is the most stable, most responsive, and dare I say sexiest mobile experience. I have to go to great lengths to get my iPhone to crash. I am definitely sticking with iPhone for a while. Maybe one day I'll change my mind but I'm content where I am right now.

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I still think iOS is the most fluid mobile os out there. Evrytime I use an android I'm struck by how "laggy" it seems. It may not actually be laggy, but it doesn't have the smoothness of iOS. (scrolling in particular)

24. mpossoff macrumors 68020

It has been that other smartphones are measured against the iPhone. The iPhone sets the standard in which other devices are measured.

25. JohnBossu macrumors member

I wont change to other smartphones because I'm trapped in Apple setup (I trap myself actually lol). In the case Im not satisfy with what's offered by Iphone 5, I will wait another year for the sixth :cool: