If the iPhone 7S is also coming out. Then what can Apple do about the camera upgrade since it's an S

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
model ?

I mean what can Apple really do with it.
I don't think they would leave the camera the same.

And the iPhone 8 needs to either have a completely upgraded camera or the same camera that will be included in the 7S if it's upgraded from the 7

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

casperes1996

macrumors 603
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
what can they add on to justify the upgrade from the 7 ?
Could this not be said for every iPhone? What can they add to a 4S that 4 couldn't do? Oh yeah - it's faster and has a slightly better camera, and Siri. Like that's gonna win me over. What can they add to 5s to justify it for 5 users? yada yada. It's not about making the owners of the previous model buy the new one, cause it's an iterative process. The changes from one model to the next won't be that grand. Some will buy every model, but for the most part, it's about going a few phones back, and when you add just a little per phone, when you go far enough back, there's a lot "missing". And of course the camera can still get better. For one thing they could simply make it bigger. Larger sensor and whatnot. They could also improve the ISP.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
model ?

And the iPhone 8 needs to either have a completely upgraded camera or the same camera that will be included in the 7S if it's upgraded from the 7
What does completely "Upgraded" mean? They can easily improve Portrait Mode in speed of focus and improve the distance from the Beta.

The dual camera will likely improve, but likely it won't be dramatic. It doesn't need to be. It can improve in increments, it doesn't have to be completely overhauled.

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Well, Apple could release a 7s that has no changes other than changing the 7 to a 7s.
They can do anything they like, eh?

Other than idle conversation, 'tis hard to second-guess what Apple might (or might not) do.
One of these seasons, you may turn out to be delightfully wrong...

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2015
Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
They already used the OIS trump card, and they can't include the dual-cameras on the regular 7s due to the size, but there are still things they can improve on.

For one, they can increase the size of the pixels, since the ones they use on the 7 aren't too big. They can also improve the auto-focus speed, that's something they can definitely work on.

But I kind of agree, the 7 normally wouldn't have had a huge camera improvement like it did, but they had to do it since the design stayed relatively the same. That's why the 7s will be very interesting, as in what they will offer to justify four years of the same design (not counting the anniversary edition).

Reactions: Math889

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
model ?

"model ?" What's that all about?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would think the 7S camera would be upgraded but not so sure about "completely upgraded"

I am not one who wants to see a lot more pixels so maybe they can improve the pixels and use a faster lens.

Only Apple knows for sure.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Here's what Apple would have to do for me to upgrade from my iPhone 6/64GB. And I don't care if they call it a 7S or 8 or X.

I prefer the physical size of the 6/6S/7 over the Plus variants. If they put in the dual camera into the smaller body, I'm in ... provided that my price point is $750 for a 64GB minimum.

If they can roll in the curved/bigger/bezel-free screen at the $750 price point, BONUS.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
Well with a rumored 3 different models due to be released this year, I can't see any real big changes that won't foreshadow the "premium" iPhone. I'm sure they'll include some minor gimmick to get others to upgrade, however, it's pretty obvious which device will be highly sought after. I hope the production ramping being pushed up to June is true, or at least the logical thing to do from a supply/demand perspective.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
model ?

Oh several camera upgrades came on S models ......

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
they will just slap the word "Pro" on it. Thats enough excuse to charge another 100$ extra.

In fact i bet the 7S will be cheaper and start with more storage while the 8 will be more expensive yet with a smaller starter storage option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.