If the macbooks are updated at WWDC how long would it take for retailers to get them?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iKatianarie, May 10, 2009.

1. iKatianarie macrumors member

I'm graduating from high school on June 22nd, and I'm going to be taking summer courses at the college I'm attending on June 21st (lol, I know it's backwards, since I'll be going to college BEFORE I graduate high school). I'm desperately in need of a new laptop, and I really want a Mac. I was planning on buying one when I turn 18 (which is right before graduation) through Best Buy (with the best buy card, which I will be applying for). My question is, if the macbooks were to see an update/refresh in WWDC, how long will it take for the updated versions to hit retail stores?

2. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

the aluminum macbooks came out the same day or the next day. The max I'd say is a month, since it will probably just be spec updates

3. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Usually after a keynote it takes 2 to 4 weeks to see the new stuff appear in stores, well that's for the stores in Switzerland, in USA i don't know if it's the same delay.

4. iKatianarie thread starter macrumors member

2 weeks? Crap, that's just about when I leave :(. I may end up having to get the current one, which, don't get me wrong, is great, because I've used my cousin's before (she has the 2.0 ghz aluminum), but I kinda like having the latest, you know?

5. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

It could be up to 2 weeks depending on your Best Buy, but may I suggest that you apply for an Apple card instead of a BB one (although maybe BB has something going with no interest)? Apple stores have the updates the next (or sometimes even the same) day after the announcement.

6. iKatianarie thread starter macrumors member

Actually, that's the reason I wanted to apply for the best buy card. No interest on purchases over $500 for 18 months.

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

have a backup plan other than the best buy credit card as you most likely will not be approved. The computers should be in the stores rather quickly as it wont be a major change.

8. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

TBH, if they do update it, it will be internally, so if worst comes to worst and you really feel the need to upgrade the RAM and HDD, you can, although I don't think you will.

Go ahead and buy a macbook now:D

9. iKatianarie thread starter macrumors member

I mean, I have the money now, it's just that I'd like to have some emergency cash onhand for when I go off in the fall, so paying little by little with no interest seems like the best choice for me.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why would you buy a Mac from Best Buy? You qualify for the Edu discount, so why would you want to pay full boat when you can get a discount? Apple has financing if that is your concern. Also check w/ the school you will attend as they might have so good deals too.

If Apple speed bumps the laptops at WWDC then Apple will mostly likely ship them immediately and w/o fanfare.

11. swbassman88 macrumors newbie

isnt there talk that the updates at the wwdc might include blu-ray and usb 3.0, or is that complete rumor garbage, cause im crossing my fingers tight for blu-ray. . .

12. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

USB 3.0 would be nice, but Blu-Ray? Do people really watch 1080p movies on a 13" screen with terrible contrast ratio? I dont care about Blu-Ray on my Mac, but if they wont to throw it in for free ill take it haha :)

13. MrFrump macrumors newbie

I would also add that Apple usually runs a promotion for a free ipod with purchase of a new mac for students. Last year it was a free ipod touch. It usually starts in June and runs through September. I'm not sure if you can get the promotion if you buy outside of an apple store or apple online.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I really don't think you'll see any updates for the MB at WWDC. There's really no major intel updates, and while the MB line was updated in October there's little to be added right now. If we do see something it will only be a modest speed bump imo.

15. disuse macrumors newbie

I don't know if you'll see blu-ray on the mac platform for movies anytime soon... Mainly because it's competition against iTunes HD movies and Apple hates competition.

I don't believe there are any actual drivers in the 10.5.x line that will support the actual playing of movies off of blu-ray... I think it's just space support as of this time.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

18-months of no finance charges from Best Buy ends up saving more money than Apple's EDU discount.

Apples financing is through Juniper, and the lowest APR they offer is 11.74%, going up to 20.7%.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

With the last macbooks it only took 3 days where I live for the stores to sell them.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Which stores? Best Buy, or Apple Retail?

19. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

If you can get by until back to school season Apple usually offers the education discount and a free Ipod.

20. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Except he said he had the cash on hand.

Please- do not begin your college career in debt on a credit card. Just buy the MB with edu discount straight up.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

He also said that he'd like to not use all of cash-on-hand so he could have some emergency cash.

Since the Best Buy financing costs him nothing (allowing to pay the purchase off over 18 months and maintain an emergency fund), and being right out of school, it'd also help him establish credit, I'm wouldn't necessarily say that going the Apple route and saving $100 is necessarily the best decision.

22. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You might also want to check the refurbs, when a update comes along, the refurbs (older model) drop in price a bit, might be worth considering.

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Apple Retail in Oakbrook Il

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

There will not be any major revisions at WWDC. The focus will be on the iPhone and Snow Leopard. The MacBook line will likely see a spec update around the end of July/beginning of August to perk people's interest before going back to school.

Bryan

25. Odid macrumors regular

When they announced the macbook, my Best Buy (Southern Cal) had them by the weekend.

Anyway, I ended up buying it with Amazon. Got it for $1150. It was $100 off w/ $50 electronic rebate... and no sales tax. :D

I think you should just buy it at the Apple store/online and get the edu discount and get a credit card (if you can) for emergency purchases.

And with credit being tied up these days, it's no guarantee you'll get a Best Buy credit card, especially one with $1000+ limit.

I've had my credit card for 10 months and have paid the balance off every time on time and I couldn't get approved (last month) for another credit card or even a small limit raise.