If the Mini passes 2 years of no updates, is it dead?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ZipZilla, Jul 4, 2014.

1. ZipZilla macrumors regular

Just curious if we get to October with no updates, does that mean it's the end?

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

3. pianoman88 macrumors regular

No

I've noticed that people complain when they're aren't updates, but they complain more when the update is trivial. The "good stuff" isn't available yet. Patience.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, that just means that September is gone (AFAIK, that will happen regardless of what the mini does :D )

"The end" is when Apple decides to drop the mini (or update it) - which they could do quite suddenly, if necessary, with no formal announcement.

5. Dave Gold macrumors newbie

It is frustrating how Apple ignores the demand of the macmini.

I am sure the could grow their market share much more if they would update their hardware more frequently.

With Yosemite around I know many iPhone/iPad users who would like to buy a few macmini´s as companions. They are willing to switch from Windows and they all have great displays. No need to replace the displays.

6. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I feel EXACTLY the same way. It is the very best way to get current windows users over to Mac.

7. Micky Do, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Of course not.

The current model runs currently available operating systems(s) and apps, and will run the coming updates. It is far from obsolete.

It may not have the very latest, cutting edge hardware, but would the little there is available bring significant improvement to the performance of the Mini?

Methinks, not much. A tweak might satisfy a few antsy geeks, but most folks probably wouldn't notice the difference.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only when Apple pronounces it dead, until then hope springs eternal.

9. haravikk macrumors 65816

If Apple intend to keep the Mac Mini (and I suspect they do) then chances are good they're waiting for Broadwell, as it has much better power/heat efficiency and comes in smaller sizes, but it's not due to later this year.

The question at that point is then whether the Mac Mini will get the update, or if it will be made to wait until other machines have had Broadwell upgrades first.

Personally I'm hoping that Apple has had the new Mac Mini design (even if it's only a minor change) ready for a while, and is just waiting on the processors and will do a release as soon as possible. The only thing is that there are other machines that Apple will want to upgrade to Broadwell too, but I'm hoping they'll just do a bigger release than normal to catch up.

It's not really like the Mac Mini is a big threat to the other lines; new Mac buyers that don't have existing monitors will still be more interested in iMacs if they can afford them. Even if the Mac Mini were to end up ahead of the iMac in CPU/integrated graphics performance, only those who are more knowledgeable would buy one over the iMac, plus there's no reason Apple couldn't update the iMac lineup at the same time.

The biggest problem really is that laptops seem like they could get priority for the Christmas season, which might relegate iMacs and Mac Minis to updates early next year instead. I just hope that's not the case as I'd still like to get an upgraded Mac Mini, but am getting increasingly tired of waiting :)

10. blanka macrumors 68000

It is not dead as the whole PC business is stuck at the quad core i7 ceiling right now. It is still a relevant machine. Everybody, not only Apple, is hoping Broadwell cheap six cores under the TDP of the current quad cores come out very soon. And that will not happen until mid 2015. So until that happens, Apple has no need to hurry. Nobody will make progress.
    Look at the current entry iMac, it is exemplary for these troubles. All Apple can do is come with lower end machines.

11. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Mini has gone for a very long time without updates like this before between the 2007 and 2009 Mini. While we're approaching 100 days more than the previously mentioned cycle, there's still a very good chance Apple will be keeping it alive.

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yeah I think you are correct.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its one of their more popular lines, do I'd be very surprised to see it go.

15. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I suspect because of broadwell chip delays, they are waiting for these, but I'd be surprised if they roll it out before any other mac product line get these. I suspect that the mini will be last on the list of broadwell chips.

Though people say there's a big demand for the mini, I don't buy it. It seems like it's one of their lesser product lines (especially compared to macbook, iphone and ipad sales). If anything, the longer time between upgrades makes each mac mini more profitable since they are using older technology and charging the same price. I suspect since current computers are pretty powerful as it is, and most people using them are not using desktops or laptops for high power consumption programs but for internet, basic office work, pictures, videos etc... that they'll stick to a 2 year upgrade cycle for the mini from now on.

This is total speculation, but isn't that what these forums are for?

16. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

no it means it will be completely redesigned from the ground up. i wouldn't be surprised a future mac mini might look similar to the apple tv

17. RobynH macrumors newbie

Janis and Jimi and Jim Morrison are also still alive until Tim Cook officially pronounces them dead.
    Until then, we're just waiting on the new 8-track and hope springs eternal.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

i think there going to combine the mac mini with the apple tv

as a gaming / entertainment/ pc system

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Random thought but maybe the mini is dead. With low end air and iMac. prices have dropped.

portability/mobile is bigger now. for a user switching to mac id bet more are coming from laptops so the use your old accessories isnt as big

20. eutexian macrumors regular

Nonsense... The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming.

I read it on the internets. So it must be true!

21. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

2yr "anniversary" is not relevant, I see no reason for Apple to update the Mini before Broadwell is readily available so that makes it Spring 2015. So my answer to the question is "no, it does not"

22. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Apple continues to sell Mac Mini so it's not dead. There's no need for a refresh because the current models are perfect for the purposes they were originally designed. The Mac Mini doesn't need faster processors, drives or memory. But if you do need these, you need a Mac Pro or iMac.

23. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

I was using my 2009 Mini as our entertainment centre but now never use it due to Apple TV 3 and with the update iCloud coming soon i will not need the Mini for storage.

It will be cheaper to use iCloud than buy expensive computers with a lot of storage.

MacBook Air 256g and iPads 128g are all we need for home and our business.

My idea was to make it simple to operate which Apple has done over the past 5 years.

I don't play computer games I would rather be out in the real world and never print photos.

Maybe Apple know this and the Mini may be over in a couple of years.;)

24. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

What's more Tuesday is coming….. so anything could happen.

25. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

It is.....

not formally dead until Apple says so. And yet, can be resurrected....:D....Seems to me Apple is getting a hard time trying to add value to a nice package...:confused:

Processors fitted for the mini happens to not be developed as fast as Apple needed. I think even a form factor redesign had been rumored. I personally think a mini with SSD and $100-150 off still will be a hot product.....But this is the thing we Apple hardware enthusiasts have to get right: Apple had found a cash cow in the iDevices. Money, development, resources will be put where the money is. Apple is no more "Apple Computer" (time ago) rather "Apple Inc". And Apple Inc can make smartwatches, top set TVs or whatever thing they look as promisory in the form of $$. That is the nature of cold business....:eek:

:):apple: