Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Haven't downloaded 3.1 - but none of the beta testers have posted it's possible...

But the Nano comes with the ability to record video now and according to Apple's website:

15 real-time special effects: Sepia, Black and White, X-Ray, Film Grain, Thermal, Security Cam, Cyborg, Bulge, Kaleido, Motion Blur, Mirror, Light Tunnel, Dent, Stretch, and Twirl

So why not add these to 3.1? Weird.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Hopefully app developers will be able to create/use these. Seems silly to have something "inferior" have superior functionality.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Because Apple loves to keep you wanting more, and dangles things in front of you in different products, so you will want the next update, and the next, and the next...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Because Apple loves to keep you wanting more, and dangles things in front of you in different products, so you will want the next update, and the next, and the next...

But the iPhone is the top of their portable media device line. And updates are free. It makes little sense. Why would I buy a Nano for that feature when I have much more power available to me in my iPhone 3GS.

Most companies increase functionality and offer options as you go up the model # - not down. And it's a software not hardware function which makes it even weirder to me.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Why can't a third party do it? The nano has no apps so Apple have to add everything themselves.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Because they'll include those filters when we iChat on the next iPhone.

:eek:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Probably because every cheap Chinese gizmo with a camera can do those effects. It's already built into the all-in-one video chip.

The iPhone is more sophisticated and doesn't use those cheap chips.

(Ever buy an inexpensive PMP from over there? I once got one for $79 with a 3" LCD, camera, 2GB memory, SD card slot, and realtime MPEG encoding of video inputs. Just amazing capabilities compared to the iPod lineup. But their UI was awful.)

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Oh c'mon. That's easily software driven and could've been included in the update for the 3GS.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
I wish i could use a "Cyborg" plugin in iMovie.....i would probably only use it a couple of times, but it would be kinda cool

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
ya, this definitely needs to be on the iPhone. I love all the fun filters and stuff; it just makes the video or photo that much more memorable. I hope they release it in an update eventually

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.