If the Nano Sim is 40% smaller than the Micro Sim...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animatedude, Oct 4, 2012.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

Then why can't Apple just have a slot for TWO nano sims, that would be amazing for travelers and anyone with multiple lines...

I honestly think two nano sims in an iPhone is more important and beneficial than two USB ports on a Mac

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

They made it smaller so that they can fit more actual hardware inside the phone. They have a point; there's really no use for the extra plastic around the actual contact area.

3. zone23 macrumors 68000

True other than it gives you something to hold on to. I took mine out and thought I was going to need tweezers to put it back in. Kept falling off the tray and stuff.. don't ever take it out unless you have too. My question is if the tray is that big why make the card so small?

4. articulatefool macrumors regular

If you actually looked at the inside of an iPhone 5, you would see that there is plenty of room for Microsim.

Apple felt like moving to a new standard just to add something else to their 'improved' list.

5. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand this but one extra nano sim wont take much space.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Please point out the 'plenty of room'.

7. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Uh, yes it will.

It needs to have a carrier like the current one, and don't forget if you take two SIMs that are 40% smaller than a Micro-SIM (i.e., 60% of the size), then in the end you're going to be ending up with something 20% larger than a Micro-SIM.

The point of the Nano-SIM was to save space. This'd be counter-productive.

8. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Well it's not about just 'sticking in' a new tray and that's it. A lot of extra work has to be done to make the phone seek out and maintain two different signals on two different SIM cards.

9. articulatefool macrumors regular

10. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Lmfao pardon? The Nano Sim is underneath 'Authorised Service Provider Only' and there's barely enough room for that. Why would we go back to MicroSim?!

11. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

This crowd is in the very very small minority. It wouldn't be worth Apple's time to cater to you guys.

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

Ah come on theirs plenty of room look at the bottom right corner about a 1/2" up I see a little gap along the side, thats wasted space.. LOL

13. articulatefool macrumors regular

I know exactly where it is. And I design PCB's for a living.
    I never stated we would 'go back to micro-sim'. I simply stated that it wasn't a necessary change (micro to nano) from a design standpoint.

I believe the decision was made from a business standpoint. Hell, Apple originally wanted a software emulated sim standard in this version of the iPhone. Luckily, some committee had the sense to shoot that idea down.

14. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Again, no, it wouldn't fit in the layout of the iPhone 5.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A better question would be why didn't they make the slot itself smaller?

16. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

source :rolleyes:

17. articulatefool macrumors regular

I take it you have never compared the two assemblies. (not just the tray, the entire assembly)

If you get a chance, I would recommend you look at them. The differences are minimal at best.

This would have been well within the tight design tolerances of this phone.

----------

Does Forbes satisfy your need?
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...m-victory-solves-a-problem-that-doesnt-exist/

18. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Minimal makes all the difference in the world. I don't know that the hell you design but you're obviously uneducated in the matter if you think the switch to nano-SIM wasn't to save space.

Linking to some guy's opinion on some website doesn't matter.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

me freaking too

20. articulatefool macrumors regular

The source was to show apple had considered a software based sim solution.

I guess 2 masters' degrees (business and engineering) shows the magnitude of my un-education.

The business side of this could have been to satiate the appetites of carriers who wish to keep selling phones that are locked and under contract. The inconvenience raises the switching cost to the prepaid competition.

21. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

What a fallacious way of arguing. Nobody cares about your minor scholastic achievements. You're still being daft and trying to argue that the nano-SIM doesn't save any space. I really don't know why I'm bothering but I really invite you to take a look at the size differences of the internals, taking thickness as well into account. Even if it's a single millimeter, it's a step worth taking.

Now go ahead and tell me about your masters and how 40% smaller isn't smaller.

I say it'd be nice if they switched to software SIMs, but with a twist: it'd allow you to 'insert' the SIM via NFC tech. A card that once brought up to the phone would start some sort of 'pairing' procedure.

My guess is that it's something like what they'll have sometime in the future.

22. articulatefool macrumors regular

Ok, once again. I will break this down so it is easier for you.
    1. I never claimed it didn't save any space, I claimed the space savings was not necessary.
    2. Space saving can be advantageous; especially when dealing with heat mitigation. (this is a more likely reason versus the 'not enough space' argument)
    3. 40% smaller is the card size, the entire sim assembly (what the tray goes into) is not much smaller at all.
    4. A micro-sim assembly would have certainly fit in place of the nano-sim assembly.

You are the person that brought up my education. You brought up the herring fallacy. I simply countered it by stating some of my educational achievements.

23. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

Dude I have never carried mobiles and never will that's why I opened this thread but pretty much everyone I know has 2-3 lines.

The trend is to have BB and iPhone too these days.

24. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

1- The savings contributed to allowing the device to be as thin and light as it is, regardless of the scale of the contribution.
    2- So..now you're arguing that it was good to save space. Ok so we're on the same page.
    3- Not much smaller, but smaller enough to make a difference. The SIM shrinkage is there. Now they have to apply the same effort to shrinking the assembly to save more space. The SIM tray itself is significantly smaller.
    4- Nope. It's significantly smaller and thinner. I really invite you to accept your own invitation: just take a look at two phones with their backs off.

iPhone 4S
    [​IMG]

iPhone 5
    [​IMG]

If you really don't see the size savings here, there's not much more I can do for you. Best of luck.

25. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Like I said, small minority group of users. Most people have just 1 line, bro. You expect a company like Apple to waste their time making a larger phone just so less than 10% of its users can insert an extra SIM?

Let's see, devote extra R&D dollars to engineer something that only 10% of your customers want. Does that make business sense?

How many Android-based smartphones do this? You could go with the Acer Liquid Gallant Duo; it has dual SIM slots.

It's either 1) mediocre phone with all of the features you want and is bulky/heavy or 2) flagship phone with a handful of great features that's also thin and sleak. Be realistic.

You sound like a very whiny adult.