iPad Pro If the New iPad Pro has a Quad Core CPU I am dropping my 9.7" Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheRealAlex, Feb 8, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I want to say there's nothing wrong with my 9.7" Pro it's better than the 12.9" Pro in every way.
    And it will remain the Fastest Tablet on the market for a very long time and have amazing longevity.

But something about 4 Cores will be what's needed going forward Developers focus on a Big Little approach.
    Not to mention future OS enhancements. I will end by saying if Apple sticks with 2GB RAM and goes with a Quad Core AX CPU I'm gonna keep my 9.7" Pro. Even the iPhone 7 Plus has 3GB of RAM and Developers and Apps will definitely need 3GB of RAM.

2. Dave245 macrumors 601

I don't see them doing that, I think the next update will bring True Tone to the 12.9" iPad Pro, maybe less bezel and higher internal specs. The rumoured 10.9" iPad may be an interesting one tho. I will upgrade my 12.9" iPad Pro if they do include the True Tone.

3. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

To each his own but a True Tone isn't all that. It's like saying to yourself "wtf why did my screen just turn off white" oh that's the True Tone trying to adjust on the fly based on room lighting and if it catches sunlight through a window it flips out not much but odd.

The 9.7" Pro wider color Gamut is much appreciated over the muted colors on the 12.9" Pro

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

Hm, I don't really care about colors, but doesn't the 9.7 feel cramped?

I'm tempted to pick one up, but I'm nervous about note taking on it. Sometimes I'll watch a split screen video while taking notes, and the 12.9 is great for that, but something a little more portable would be nice.

Do you have any problems with it..?

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

you can minimize videos to a floating window freeing up the entire screen for note taking.

6. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

Every year a new iPad will release so not to fussed about buying a new iPad this year.

I have both iPad Pro (12.9 and 9.7)

12.9 is the fastest and most powerful iPad in the market for now.

9.7 is slightly slower, more portable with better display.

My wife uses the 9.7 model while I use the 12.9.

Both IPad Pros are jail broken for now with themes.

New IPad Pro will mean iOS Firmware which will not be jail broken anytime soon. Meaning stock iOS feel and boring.

7. Dave245 macrumors 601

I wont be upgrading to the Pro 2 just for the True Tone, i want the 256GB and the wider colour Gamut, also whatever new features they will be adding to this next generation are a bonus.

8. Hym tix macrumors member

Hym tix

Was that a joke? Or just a "for my personal use and needs" comment?

This makes more sense to me.

I'd like to know just cause I'm considering going down to the 9.7.

9. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

12.9 model is better to work with though.

Actually the 9.7 model is great for users who are used to the regular iPad size.

I believe the rumoured IPad 10.9" model will be interesting as it could be the perfect iPad size for usability and portability.

10. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

Getting a 256gb model is great if you intend to use the iPad for more than a year. I believe the new iPads will follow the IPhone 7 sizes. 64gb , 128gb and 256gb.

256gb will be the most expensive of the lot.

I wonder if they will release a jet black model. That will be interesting.

For me, I will not upgrade until the new iPads can be Jailbroken, which should not be so soon.

11. ericwn macrumors 65816

Excellent topic while we just discussed wether or not one upgrades in a different thread. Ok, OP wants 4 cores , delivers no reason. Noted. Can be closed then I guess.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

4 cores and more RAM would help with 24-50mp, high res Raw files in Lightroom.

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The BIG.little approach means that in any moment, only 2 cores are active.
    So dual cores are fine. Considering the efficiency of the A9, I rather have more RAM than more cores.

14. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

You had to know that a statement like that will get pushback. The 12.9 is a better productivity machine. It has a better on screen keyboard, a much bigger display to run two apps side by side, more ram, and a much more immersive feel than the small 9.7. The display on the 12.9 is phenomenal and in no way are the colors muted.

After having a 12.9, trying the 9.7 felt like a downgrade. Display was too small, it was slower, the on screen keyboard was the same as every previous iPad, and with 2gb of ram it won't be a longevity device for power users.

I think it's great as an iPad Air 3, but in no way is it superior to the 12.9 unless you want to use camera or tru tone, neither of which really add to the productivity factor.

For what it's worth, I no longer own either model so it's not me "defending my purchase," it's just observation from using both.

15. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Except it's not

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

For many it is

After having both there's no real difference. It's just the size. Extra ram is nice but not a deal breaker for tasks I do

17. jumpingjackflash macrumors regular

I love my Air2 but I have to admit that 9.7" screen is just too small in 2017. No matter what other specs it has. Split screen usage is just awfull on a tiny screen IMHO. So my next iPad will be a 12.9" for sure. Same thing has happened with iPhone sizes. 5.5" Plus size have become the new standard over old 4".

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have the 9.7 but I also want to get the bigger size just for the extra RAM. There have been times in the week that I have owned my 9.7 so far that I have pushed the 2GB RAM to it's limits in Safari so that it crashed.

I don't regret buying my 9.7 Pro because I've been using a Mini 2 for the past three years so the bigger size is great to have.

19. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

For many it is not

9.7 has true tone, but not a deal breaker

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Think you will find more like the smaller version than the bigger version

21. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

So? You will find more android phones out there than iphones.
    How does that make 9.7" better? That's mostly because it's cheaper. 12.9" has bigger screen estate, has more computing power, more ram, faster USB 3 connection and faster charging capability.

22. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's better for those certain people who like the smaller screen. That's the point

Bigger screen is nice but not as portable. Depends on your needs

23. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Exactly. 9.7 was a good size when your phone was 3.5/4 inches. But now that Phones are 5.5, there's not enough of a difference between that and a 9.7 iPad.

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

cmon it is still a pretty big difference

25. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's a huge difference, iPhone 6S+ compared to the iPad Pro 9.7"

20170210_131559.jpg