If the new iPhone has LTE, will it work in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 0dev, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Do current rumours suggest that the chip in the next iPhone will support the LTE bands to be used in the UK next year? I've heard conflicting information about this, and I know we don't have any definite information yet, but what are the latest rumours saying? And do you think it's likely?

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

The recent news that Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile and Orange's parent company) will be th first to roll out LTE in the UK, sooner than every other network would suggest that once they have their LTE network up and running that you will be able to take advantage if you are one of their customers...

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I know, but will the iPhone 5 support Everything Everywhere's LTE bands? The iPad 3, for example, will never work as an LTE device in the UK.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Was that really ever feasible? The UK doesn't even have LTE now, right?

How could Apple have planned an LTE device months (if not a year) before the technology is rolled out?

I would expect the next iPad will have LTE for UK and other countries.

5. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

I don't think LTE will be the same as the states. I think the frequency is different here, still faster than HSPA+ but it does not required the hardware or something like that.

You should contact orange/t-mob for more info but that is what I heard from someone 'in-the-business'.

The plus side is that battery won't be drained as fast whilst maintaining a relatively fast download/upload speed.

6. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I just did a bit of Google-fu and it looks like Everything Everywhere will use the 1800MHz bands for LTE and apparently the new iPhone may use the MDM9615 chip for connectivity, but I can't seem to find any information about exactly which bands it'll support.

7. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

Don't forget everything everywhere intend to bring out there own network tarrifs - probably to accomodate LTE. Don't count on it as a TMo or Orange customer.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yep as above everything everywhere will be a network all to its self. Not orange or tmobile

3 have said there rolling out lte but what freq is anyone's guess