If the next generation of iPhone came in 3-inch and 4-inch sizes, which would you buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Aug 14, 2010.

1. thermal macrumors regular

Say hypothetically that when Apple introduces the next generation of iPhone, instead of one 3.5 inch model, they introduce two models: a 3-inch iPhone and a 4-inch iPhone.

If they are identical except for screen size, which would you choose?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

what an odd hypothetical question.

If you haven't noticed (other than the iPod nano and Shuffle) Apple is not big on variety

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

4". If anything though, I think they'll keep the 3.5" and maybe make a 4" that sells alongside it.

4. JulianL macrumors 65816

Maybe the OP is using the optician's technique. In an eye test there is lots of trying two different lenses and asking which is better, A or B. That's not because the optician thinks that either A or B is the correct prescription, it's so that by presenting increasing narrow choices, he/she can home in on the right answer.

Doing the full "eye test" on myself....

For the initial choice presented I'd choose 4" because 3" would be too small and lots of my existing apps, designed for a 3.5" screen, might get too tricky to use.

If you then ask me if I would take a 3.3" model or a 4" model then I think that I'd buy the 3.3" because the 4" would mean a bigger form factor and for me the benefits of the iPhone being as small and pocketable as it is now outweigh the benefit of a bigger screen.

If you then ask me 3.3" or 3.7" (on the assumption that 3.7" is as big as they can go without increasing the overall size of the phone) then I'd happily take the extra 0.2" and go for 3.7" and that's where I'd end up as my correct prescription for my ideal screen size.

- Julian

5. allaboutmusic macrumors member

How about a 4" widescreen one that uses the same size chassis, but removes some of the border? :)

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

There's not much border to remove. I'd love a 3.7" if it means the iPhone is the same size. 4" WILL mean a bigger form factor.

7. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

4" would be perfect.

The iPhone could stand to be a mm or two wider, and that's all it would need to be able to support a 4" screen.

It wouldn't need to be any taller, there's a whole lot of wasted space on the bezel to work with.

Also with a 4" inch screen and 960x640 resolution, it would have 288 pixels per inch, which is almost exactly the sweet spot as far as PPI go. Any higher and your eyes don't really notice. But 280+ PPI is absolutely perfect.

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'd take the 4" but I'd be really peeved they got rid of the 3.5" cause I'd take that over the 4". 3" is just too small. The iphone is pretty much the best size for portability vs. usable screen size as is.

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I wouldn't take "4 that's too big for a phone.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

4" for sure. Would love to see that screen-sized offered on the iPhone. I wouldn't want it any bigger than 4" though.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Excellent question.

Great Idea Too!

After all Apple offers the MacBook & MacBook Pro. This falls in line with the same thinking. I love my new 15" MacBook Pro!

I have an iPhone 4 & Galaxy S. They have 3.5" & 4.0" displays respectively.*

I greatly prefer the 4" display and would love to have that on my iPhone. It only ads a few millimeters to the footprint, while the phone still remains less than ten mm thick.*

It's even lighter and ergonomically superior to the iPhone. Apple could use some tips from Samsung on how to build a thin, light and well made smartphone.*

Mine is the AT&T version (Captivate) which only uses a composite for the inner chassis. The rest of the phone is glass (front) and metal back. It's beautiful, far nicer than the pictures reveal.*

Size is ideal for such a large screen. It's Samsung's design expertise that reduces the overall size of the phone. The display is nearly edge to edge.*

This Android is fast, fun & reliable. I've had it since release day and it's been perfect.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'll get the bigger screen. 3.5" is starting to feel SMALL. Hopefully the iPhone 5 has a 3.7" or bigger screen. My guess is 3.7" screen next year, with the same design, but modified to help with the antenna issue.

13. lcs101 macrumors regular

14. amorya macrumors 6502

Do they run exactly the same software (so the buttons and controls on the 3" are smaller than on the 4"), or do they require resizable software (so that the buttons are the same size but there is more room on the screen for UI elements)?

I doubt Apple will ever do the former, and in that case I'd probably go 3", depending how they feel to hold.

If the latter, I'd go 4" like a shot, as long as it fit in my pocket.

15. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Is there? How much is under the bezel that uses all the availalble height? You have the home button on the bottom, and now you have the camera along side the speaker on the top.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry dude, it's just the same in all your posts

*An asterisk means there's further information provided in a footnote or at the bottom of the page.

• a bullet point is what you're looking for

17. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

4in is the perfect size for a phones screen. Everytime I use my 3GS after using my EVO it just feels small. I use to think the EVO's 4.3in screen is big and I have 8+ in hands. I got use to it so it doesn't bother me that much anymore but I'm sure it's to big for a lot of ppl. I played with the Galaxy S and it feels perfect.

18. _Matt macrumors 6502

They can't even get a white iPhone 4 right. You don't want them messing with various screen sizes. I think 3.5" is here to stay.

19. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

They better not change the screen size. I don't want it smaller, and I don't want a physically larger phone. 3.5.

20. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

3.5 forever.

This thread should be /closed...

its giving people anxiety.

Its a well known scientific fact that the human brain prefers/feels better when it doesn't have to choose or have potential choices to dilute the joy factor.

Even the idea of having to consider it is subconsciously slightly annoying.

21. BigQid macrumors regular

They sell a lot of iphones. They can clearly make 2 sizes. I'm a big guy with big hands. To be honest, I'd want one that was 4.4" or bigger. If the Dell Streak is the same size as the Archos Internet tablet, that is too big. My girlfriends EVO is awesome. The Droid X is also nice. Just 4" is kind of a half step.

22. n00basaur macrumors regular

23. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Uh... Dude? Let's set your assumptions aside.

Here are some _facts_ for you to consider since you are the self appointed composition police.

1) I'm not using my laptop, I'm using my iPhone 4 to post since I'm traveling today.

2) I'm composing my posts in the "Notes App" on my iPhone, then copying & pasting them here. Why? Because if you've ever used your iPhone for this, you'll know how small the working window is and it's limitations. When I use Notes it's much easier.

Finally it's the Notes App that leaves the asterisks that you are complaining about.

Me? I could care less about them, it's only an informal forum.

25. Aeroflux macrumors member

I would definitely go for a 4" screen. As someone said before it isn't that much bigger.

To me the iPhone SCREEN feels small, the phone itself feels about right. When we can have both why complain? 16:9 aspect ratio, more real estate without increasing the physical size and everybody wins. Plus, wider screen=better keyboard. The keyboard is the most frustrating part of the iPhone for me, it should be translucent at the very least. I can't say how many times I've tried to enter information on the net and that damn auto-zoom takes over, or entered a lengthy text that pushes the rest of the IMs out of the way till I can't even see the whole of my text.

Half of the screen problem is the horribly outdated interface...the iphone 4 should take advantage of the retina display and RAM by making it far more liquid and intuitive.