If the next iPhone becomes 4 inches, it will have 285-288ppi. Picture inside

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cool Hwhip, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

[​IMG]

The picture shows the new dimensions of the iPhone if it is scaled up to 4 inches. Most likely it will keep its 960x640 resolution as to not become a ****** burden on app developers having to create yet another set of graphics. The threshold of the human retina to distinguish individual pixels is roughly 300. The new iPhone won't exactly have a retina display, it it'll be damn close.

2. gregrose macrumors 6502

Man, you must be really bored to draw this up...lets just wait and see what happens...

3. Cool Hwhip, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

Nah, I'm not an idiot so it doesn't take me long to do 6th grade math.

I wonder how many more decades it'll be until cool guys on the Internet stop playing the "u have no life" card.

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Without all that math you did I would rather look at it the other way.
    If they make a bigger screen the actual "App Buttons" would get bigger, meaning that they would have to downsize everything so the size increase is productive at all, and in order to do that they would increase the resolution keeping the 326PPI

5. mltaylor macrumors regular

I just have to say I'd like a 4' screen but I do not want to have a bigger phone.

Also, Apple has def thought about all the problems that may arise from changing screen size (if they have thought about changing screen size). Hard to explain what I mean. Apple won't make developers re do all the work on their apps because they want a bigger screen. They will be unified to work on the past iPhones as well as iPhone 5. Just wouldn't be smart otherwise

6. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I love how people are enthralled with shrinking tech and now there's another vein that wants HUGE SCREENS IN MY POCKETS OMGZ. I honestly do NOT want Apple to increase the screen size; the iPhone is the perfect size for my pockets and I can read it just fine thank you. If I wanted a larger screen, I'd get a tablet, not a phone that I want to hold a battery charge all day under heavy use. That certainly won't be the case with a larger screen...

7. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Nobody said anything about it taking you long or it being hard, he was just saying you must have better s*** to do than draw iphone screens and calculate the ppi.

8. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

Increasing the resolution isn't really a viable option. It'd piss off a lot of developers. Also, I don't think Apple would change the resolution again so soon.

To anyone wondering, I did use exact values until the end with stored values.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I'm not sure about it, but if they increased the size on the current form factor wouldn't the screen format change to something a bit wider or taller anyway?

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

11. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what you're saying.

I guess I should have run out to Walmart to buy graph paper and drive all the way back to draw two rectangles that have ambiguous scaling anyway.

Did you...genuinely mean that and you didn't get the point of my post at all? You focused on the type of paper rather than the contents it held?

This site makes me lose more and more faith in humanity's future every passing second. Sigh.

12. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Do you really think the developers would be that pissed. Any dev with a halfway successful app is probably raking in cash. Maybe it would help weed some of the crap out of the app store instead. I'm tired of looking at the top 50 and shaking my head at 2/3 of the apps on the list. I can't believe people download some of that crap much less pay for it.

13. patp Guest

none of the lines are straight in your drawing.

Can you re-do it using a ruler?

14. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

We all know you have the time...

15. zerofour macrumors member

Well I at least say thanks for the post - at least it's constructive unlike my doodling!

16. mltaylor macrumors regular

My point, and I believe many people's, is that it would be problematic or just a nuisance to have iPhones with different size screens. Apps would be a problem. Notice Blackberries app world that not all apps work for each phone and the same with android.

17. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

That problem is avoided with a 960x640 screen!

18. Interstella5555, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Ok, how about this? Apple is not going to sacrifice resolution for a larger screen size. It doesn't make sense for business or practical reasons.

I'm just saying that clarity in you picture (or sketch) like this make it much easier to follow what you're trying to convey. Would you use comic sans in an email, or use a font that's easier to read? You tell me.

19. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

Should I make my drawing easier to understand? Can you not read it because you lack some basic understanding chemical that prohibits you to comprehend what my simple sketch is conveying?

The drawing isn't the goddamn point of my post. It's to show you the ppi of the new screen. Apparently, none of you neanderthals can grasp that concept.

20. mltaylor macrumors regular

OR that this thread has been done...AND it has been done in a much better way??

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

An I actually responded to your post saying it's not happening, everything else is minutia.

22. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

I feel bad for Apple, having to deal with this level of intelligence daily. Oh well. Fast food restaurants will always need workers.

23. mltaylor macrumors regular

Not really understanding why you are getting so defensive over a drawing that may or may not have taken 2 minutes. Posters have responded and you just want praise for a sketch...well don't believe you are getting it. Better luck next time I guess

24. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

lol just try to ignore it....most people are funny but ya there are the ones who dont say anything relevant to the topic...

To the other guy that said no one makes graph paper anymore? We use it daily in my linear equations class.

25. Cool Hwhip thread starter macrumors member

Definitely was not looking for praise. I just posted it for people to skim for about 2 seconds as proof then discuss the lower ppi if the rumors were true. Instead, I had a myriad of responses talking about graph paper and straight lines. I should have expected it, giving I am on MacRumors, afterall.

Haha, ignoring stupidity on MacRumors is like ignoring bee stings while attacking the hive.