If the next iPhone has the feature of an 'always on-screen' display, would you enable the feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveToMacRumors, Aug 18, 2017.

?

If the next iPhone has the feature of an 'always on-screen' display, would you enable the feature?

1. Yes

44.2%
  2. No

55.8%
  1. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

the clock and a few symbols for notifications, emails, etc

I personally won't, because with an Apple Watch, the notification dot and the time on the wrist, it's already enough.

What about you?

2. Hal~9000, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

If the rumors are true of instant screen unlock via facial recognition (apparently even if the phone is lying on a desk), I probably wouldn't see the point.

Not to mention my hesitation to leave an OLED screen always on after seeing the display units at Best Buy getting pretty serve screen burn-in for being left on 24-7.

3. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Had the always on display features for two years on the S7 and the S8 and it has caused zero problems. Turns off when in a pocket or face down, and moves around so slightly, but in a way that is not perceivable to the eye.

You'd think Apple would just straight up copy that approach.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes.

Don't have an Apple watch, don't want an Apple watch, not paying an additional $300-~$1000+ for what amounts to a notification LED.

Apple can either give me the notification LED with the device or this new always on OLED screen. I'm betting they do the latter.

5. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Got super used to it on my S7 Edge, so it's a feature I'd love to see.

6. Infiniverse48, Aug 18, 2017

Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

I would never use this. When I am not using my device I want the display to be black. No light. And I do not at all mean for battery or screen savings. Purely not wanting any light.

7. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

I had a Note 7 for about a month, and the always on display is one of those features that you think isn't that important that you end up taking for granted. It was the most used feature and the one I missed the most.

Think of how much you check your phone for the time during the day.

8. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

That's why the sensors are powered on perpetually and are constantly aware of the correct user and when their pupils are aimed at the device, momentarily turning the display on, and back off immediately when the user looks away.

Not really, but it would be cool

9. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Would never use it. I don’t even want an always on Apple Watch.

10. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I am not a big fan of some of these features, it serves no purpose for me.

When I pick my phone up, I press the power button and I can see the time and notifications, that's the only time I will be looking. No sense in having them show for the other 20-someodd-hours.

11. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

How would this provide extra convenience to raising to wake the phone to check time/notifications etc. as we currently do?

Is it for when you don't have a free hand & whilst the phone's sitting in front of you & just want to quick check time etc?

12. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

13. Relentless Power, Aug 18, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I personally have no desire to have my iPhone display activated if I am not looking . And I never use my iPhone 7 Plus to take it out of my pocket to look at the time, which is fairly large and cumbersome to do. I either am wearing my Apple Watch or one of my other mechanical Watches. But I can see how some would appreciate this.

14. off_piste macrumors 6502a

It barely emits any light. Even in a dark room it wouldn't be very noticeable.

I'm all for it. I expect many skeptical people will be extolling the virtues of the tech once you start using it, as always. Apple would have already implemented this if it weren't for them using an IPS display. With OLED they can turn on only the needed pixels while the entire IPS display is powered even if showing black.

15. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I am one of the old school people that still wears a wrist watch to tell the time of day. For me, the current raise to wake feature that can be turned on or off works very well.

16. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yep, that .01% per hour is a killer on the
    Battery. /s

17. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

18. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Definitely not! When I'm not using my phone, there's no need for the display to be on. It'll be a distraction if the display is lit up and my phone is in view, if it's in my pocket it's pointless, unnecessary battery drain. And can't OLED screens suffer screen burn?

19. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Depends.
    If I wear my Apple Watch, I would turn them off as I don't need them. The AW takes care of notifications.
    If I don't wear my AW, then a form of always on information would be useful.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2017 ---
    The screen will not turn on all the time in your pocket. Samsung has an always on screen on their phones, and it will turn off completely when put inside pocket (proximity/light sensor will be triggered).

20. Cryates macrumors 68000

The trick to AOD, is having the information shift over to other pixels On occasion, thus no burn-in.

21. Relentless Power, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Galaxy S7 and S8 has an Always On Display. It prevents 'burn in' by moving/rotating the displayed information around by one pixel every minute or so, with consistent movement of pixels approximately every hour.

22. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

It won't be a feature. Enjoy

23. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

You mean you have to use your hands?

24. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Not to worry. In a year's time, every iPhone user will be clamoring about how great AOD is and within another year we'll be hearing how Apple invented AOD.
    I've seen this happen over and over. You'll be on board with AOD too. You're just in denial phase right now.

25. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

I was genuinely asking what the benefit was, hoping to be informed.

You could be right. Another thing to thank competition for.

Will you be carrying that chip on your shoulder in 2 years time?