If the release for iPhone 6 is September 9 based on history when will preorders start

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Aug 5, 2014.

1. falconman515, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

So it seems as if the September 9th date is pretty set in stone based on all the reports.

Thinking of the pre-order history for earlier iPhone releases when to they normally start pre-orders after that Tuesdays iPhone announcement?

And based on that info as well when do most think it will release?

My issue is my upgrade eligibility is not until Sep. 14th .... I'm thinking if it's like that Friday that will be the 12th and I won't be able upgrade with a full subsidized price.

So anyone have any solid historical info that could somewhat tell when the pre-order will happen based on the Sep. 9th announcement conference???

Thanks

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

3. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Fixed ... thanks

4. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Last year, the 5S (flagship) did not have preorders while the 5C did.
    although the 5 did.

Don't expect preorders this year.

5. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Last year was a funky year with the stupid "C" .... anyone know about maybe the iPhone 5?

And I agree I sure hope with the 4.7 and possibly 5.5 they don;t do the same thing and not do pre-orders.

I think there will be TONS more 4.7 so we may luck out and get it.

So based on like the iPhone 5 and maybe before historically when do the pre-orders start after the Tuesday announcement???

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Announcement on 9th.

Launch on 19th.

If they do preorders, they'll start on midnight the 12th.

Most carriers bump up the upgrade date if it's less than a month. They want your iPhone upgrades.

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

WWDC??? The World Wide Developers Conference is a yearly event that happens in June. It never happens in September.

8. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I actually expect preorders this year. Apple had a shortage of iPhone 5S last year but it seems as if they're ramping up production this year.

9. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

So many have been able to get AT&T to bump up their eligibility date by calling and requesting?

Heck I'll tell them my contract is over and if they don;t I'll go to Verizon or something to get em' to do it.

Any others had luck doing this?

----------

Or whatever it's called ... who cares! FIXED :rolleyes:

10. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

That's true...but if they want to cater to the same number of countries, or even more at the same time like last year, then they will probably fall short.

I don't expect the US to get that preorder first type of treatment, especially if it's going to be released in many different countries at the same time.

:rolleyes:

11. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

It's only called like the apple special event september 2014

12. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

I'm sure they have a set amount of units they want/need to send to each country. If the units allow it then preorders should be available.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

China might take a couple dozen.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

AT&T has bumped them without being asked. I wouldn't worry about it until after September 9th.

15. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

So your saying a lot of the time your upgrade is just available even before your contract end date? Like all the sudden at the beginning of Sep. your fully eligible for and upgrade?

I have been with them FOREVER ... I would assume if I told them to bump me up they would or threaten to leave since my contract is basically up.

I am just a crazy early adopter and will 100% be getting this phone on Day1 but I sure would love it to be easier if I am eligible and ready to go if they do pre-orders.

16. RSG macrumors newbie

If i remember correctly with my iPhone 5, the event was on the 12th September and i pre-ordered my phone on the 14th!

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

A lot of the carriers are not being so generous with bumping upgrade dates like they used to do.

18. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

No need-I was in the same situation with an upgrade eligibility date in late Sept. I called AT&T in July and asked and they said no worries, :eek: it will revert to Sept. 1. I was astounded. So of course I called back 2 more times and was told the same thing.

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Of course not, but if it's less than a month, they can lose a customer, so it would be illogical not to.

----------

There ya go. They've done this for me every year since 2007.

Mind you, they quit yearly upgrades with the 4S, but they bumped mine for the 5 and 5s. Family plan, so I always have an upgrade that winds up available near launch.

----------

If you were a really crazy early adopter, you'd already know I'm right. ;)

Don't worry about it. It'll work out fine. They WANT upgrades. They know Apple never launches on exactly the same day every year.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

They have always given a pass if less than a month.

Long ago they would knock off way more than that to get you back in the store.

I just buy outiright and have not been under contract for a long time now.

21. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

So when does your phone have to be eligible for upgrade - on the day you place the order, on the day the phone is shipped to you or on the day you activate it? My iPhone 5 is eligible for upgrade on Sept. 15. I can see the iPhone 6 announced and orders beginning on Friday, Sept. 12th. Which means I would miss out on the initial order date. This could push my delivery back by weeks if history means anything. I would think probably the actual order date because how else would Apple know how much to charge you. Any ideas on this?

BTW - The information on the AT&T site for my phone very definitely says that if I order before Sept. 15, I will pay full price.

22. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

You will only get the eligible pricing if you upgrade/pre-order ON or after your contract end date. Say the phone goes on pre-order the 14th and your contract end date is the 15th, you'll be paying the early upgrade/full retail pricing.

You can of course try to get the carrier to bump it up for you, but they have really tightened up on that.

I don't mess with contracts anymore. I'd rather pay full retail and not have to stress about upgrade eligibility anymore.

23. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

If you ask to break contract you will have to pay ETF which is about $100 at month 23 of contract.

24. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Ohh no I will have already paid my bill for that month and say after September I'm done and move over to Verizon ... I may lap a payment for a couple days is all ... I won't pay a 100 early cancellation for a couple days ... I'll just run it till I get the the Verizon phone is all.

BUT that I'm 95% sure will be a mute point cause even it gets that far and me threatening to leave if they don't let me upgrade a few days early saying I will cancel service and go to Verizon will For Sure get them to let me upgrade a Mere Couple Days early.

So ya I think most here are right ... I should be fine ... and being an AT&T customer for geez going on 20 years now I think should be enough to offer me up a coupe days (plus I have NEVER had a late payment in my history so they couldn't ask for a better customer).