If the Sport sells out would you buy the SS just to get it on the 24th?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Mar 26, 2015.

?

If the Sport sells out would you buy the SS just to get it on the 24th?

1. Yes, I'll pay more and go Stainless Steel if Sport Sells out.

38 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Nope, I'll wait the extra few weeks for the Sport Model.

83 vote(s)
    68.6%
  1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple makes way more SS models, and Sport sells out for April 24th deliver and next available date could weeks off.

Would pony up the extra and go to SS to avoid any wait, or just rough it out and wait.

Personally I can't see them selling out, I talked to a lot of iPhone owners and most are not interested at all or willing to wait and see what it's all about.

So it remains to be seen what the average iPhone user will do, regardless the sport "could" sell out as we have no clue to what quantity will be available by the 24th or production issues.

2. brig2221 macrumors 6502

No, I would not personally. I have already set my mind (after much internal deliberation) that I am going to get the Space Grey Aluminum model with black band. Priced at $400, it's a little outside the range of an "impulse" purchase, but close enough that I view it as one. The Stainless Steel model however is well outside that range, and I would not consider spending an additional $200 or more (depending on band selection) to just have one day one.

If they sell out online when I go to pre-order mine (which I imagine is going to wind up being the most popular configuration), I will just have to a wait an extra week or two to get mine in the mail.

All that said, I am eagerly anticipating getting my hands on one, and definitely would like to have it sooner rather than later, but can wait if need be.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

We also need a corresponding poll to ask if people who want the SS Model are willing to downgrade to a Sport if the SS is not available.

Someone planning for a Sport has to dig up an extra $200 where someone who wants Stainless may be sacrificing style.

I would set that up myself if I could have figured out how. I also would love to add an icon to my name like others have and cannot find any settings in the profile that seem to set one up.

Aloha

4. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm more worried about the black SS selling out and having to wait for months longer.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

User CP tab (at top left) > Edit Profile Picture.

6. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

After much thought, I have my heart set on the model I want and I am willing to go through hell and back to make sure it's what I want on day one. :cool:

7. hemolyzer macrumors member

I'd be surprised if it sells out before we can get one, being the most expensive non-gold model.

8. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Thanks. After more digging to figure out why I do not get to do one it looks like I need to do 82 more posts (500 or more) to be allowed to specify one.

----------

My only compromise will be to get SS with Black Sports band instead of SS with Link if the link will take longer to get.

9. KPOM, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

KPOM macrumors G5

I'm worried it might sell out because it is the most expensive non-gold model. I told myself that if the Gold were more than $5,000, I'd get the Space Black Stainless Steel, and I think lots of others had similar thoughts.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Nope, I have a Kickstarter edition Pebble that I got as a substitute until the Apple Watch came out. It serves me fine and will allow me to wait, as it looks I might have to if the supply is constrained as rumor says it might be.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

The 42mm Stainless Steel is my first choice so in a word no.

12. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I will wait for a Stainless Steel no matter what happens. Now I MAY pick a band that I would not have preferred if that gets it to me quicker but I would not consider a different model.

13. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I hope people don't. Save the SS watches for me so I can get one day one :D.

14. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

I think a better question would be for us Sport buyers (especially the men) is would you be willing to take the coral/pink if all other colors were sold out.

15. dilap macrumors 6502a

Haha! I would consider swapping out my blue for the White/Black, but I think the White and Black ones will sell out first. Slightly annoyed that we have no idea what time preorders start, do they announce it before?

16. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

What do you mean? It's always 12am pacific time/3am eastern

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I plan on getting the SS, but if I wanted the sport and it was sold out I would spring for the SS.

18. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

the SS looks more professional but it is almost twice the weight of the sports watch!

19. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Wow. The way the poll is standing now is that over 30% of MacRumors members would throw more money at Apple if Apple disappoints (doesn't provide enough cheaper Sports).

Let's hope Apple isn't reading this ;)

20. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Since I am kind of 50/50 between space gray sport and SS with Milanese band, I would probably get the SS if space gray sport is sold out.

----------

Just curious, does that bother you?

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That really is my only concern...the weight.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

No, it doesn't bother me at all. I just find it interesting. Really interesting.

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's not over 30% of MacRumors members, it's over 30% of the 100 or so MacRumors members who have bothered to respond. There's a big difference between the two. :)

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, you're right. It's a small sample from a small world. :)

I'd love to know what the larger population thinks? A 30% self-upsell rate would make me think about getting into AAPL stock again :)

25. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Sport watch with white plastic band = 72g
    SS watch with classic leather buckle = 56g

So, the SS watch is LIGHTER if you choose the classic leather band.

http://robservatory.com/the-all-in-one-apple-watch-spreadsheet/#prettyPhoto/0/

By comparison, my current watch is only 36g. LIGHTER
    [​IMG]

By comparison, this rolex is 135g. MUCH HEAVIER (They range from 120g - 170g generally)

[​IMG]